In Safari, how do I set it so the 'back' command brings me back to the exact spot?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anthonymoody, Jan 23, 2005.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Aug 8, 2002
    Sorry I couldn't make the title longer and clearer. I'm a recent switcher. I like safari very much. However, often (esp in forums) I click on a link that's say 1/2 way down a page. When I click back, it brings me back, but to the top of the page. Is there any way to tell it to go back to exactly where I was scrolled on the screen?

2. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    It should do it automatically. You might have to wait a few seconds for it to jump to the right spot though. Wait for the blue line in the address bar to finish. If it's not that - then I've no idea. Reset Safari? Repair permissions?
  3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    You can always command-click on the link to bring the page into its own tab. Once you are done visiting the link, just Command-W to close the tab, and Safari will bring you back to where you left off.

However, in general, Safari should* always take you back to where you left off, AS LONG AS the forum page has completed loaded.
  4. unispherephoto macrumors member

Oct 11, 2004
    safari has recently been failing to return to a mid-page point for me too. not always, but sometimes.
  5. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Aug 8, 2002
    yeah interesting - I just had a series of 'backs' where it took me to the right place, then a bunch where it didn't. It's seems inconsistent. I tried to wait (and wait) to make 100% sure the page was loaded, etc. but couldn't tie it to anything.

I like the tab idea though...
  6. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    I don't use Safari much anymore, but I have noticed the same inconsistency in Firefox. It seems to be an issue with the bulletin board software, although I'm not sure what the problem is. Some sites seem to have changed, although so many sites use the JelSoft software like this one that they can all blend in sometimes.
  7. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    Oddly enough, i've been having the same problem. Safari on my eMac has recently (since the last 2-3 weeks?) stopped going back down to the correct spot when going back to the previous page. The strange thing is that on my parents iMac, Safari works correctly.