In-Store LCD Repair?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Punani, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

Aloha,

My PowerBook has developed a wonderfully irritating faint white spot in the upper middle of the screen. It's the kind your eye attempts to blend into the rest of the screen, fails, and promptly drives you crazy. :(

I took it the the Apple Store in Rancho Cucamonga for a look the other week...they said it was within the tolerances of Apple's policy. :confused:

I've tried putting up with it, but I can't take it any more and I really need my notebook near everyday. So, I found out that the only place that does in-store repairs is The Grove and called them up, I was told that they only take ProCare members for in-store service.

(And now the actual question!)

I was wondering, would it be worthwhile to show up at opening time at The Grove and see if the store is willing to take me as an in-store repair? I live more than 50 miles away from it, but if you guys think I have at least an 80% chance of getting away with it...I'm game.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Do you have ProCare? Is your PB under warranty?

If they have that store policy chances are they won't fix it in store. With gas prices high I wouldn't take the chance. Also normally Apple won't do a repair on just one dead pixel. I would clarify that at you local Apple Store.

3. Punani thread starter macrumors regular

Punani

Aloha,

I'm a little confused now...is a white spot the same (by Apple's replacement standards) as a dead pixel?

The white spot is approximately 1 cm^2...

Also, I was wondering what you folks think, would you replace the screen over such a white spot, or would it be better to just leave it as-is and see if the screen becomes worse (I have AppleCare).

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Complain, and if all else fails, complain some more. :p

5. advocate macrumors regular

Is it this problem?

http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/displayprogram/

If so, Apple will fix it for free.