In-store service w/ BTO system

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by flalaw, Oct 26, 2006.

1. flalaw macrumors regular

If you have a hardware problem w/ your MBP, will the apple store just give you a new one, or do you have to send it in for service? For example, if I have a defective CD drive, will they go into the back and just give me a replacement on the spot?

If they just replace rather than repair I might get a standard configuration so that any potential replacements are easier. Three iPods have failed on me and every time they just went into the back and gave me a new one on the spot - which was so much easier than sending in for service.

2. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

also, i'm thinking that if i have a questionable problem (like display issues) i might be able to try my luck at replacement at different apples stores if i have a standard configuration. but if i have a BTO MBP, i'll just have one shot at replacement thru apple care.

i'd appreciate any advice on this. btw, i don't think i explained before, but i'm trying to decide on the larger hard drive.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

When my wife's MB hard drive failed, the guy (I really just can't call them "geniuses" - sure, they're smart enough but they're just tech support) at the store checked it over, came to the same conclusion as I did (what gave it away to me was the rhythmic clicking from the HD area, the folder icon with the question mark on boot, and the HD not showing up when booting from the install disk or an external drive) and ordered a new hard drive.

I told him we were running it at home from an external HD so I took it away with me. The store phoned us when the new drive was ready and replaced it while we waited when we went back.

Since a replacement optical drive is even less of an impediment to working on your Mac than a dead HD, I suggest you do the same. They're unlikely to have any drives in store, so just get them to confirm it needs to be replaced, order a new one and take it home with you.

Edit: oops misread your original post - you're asking a what-if. If there's a problem that doesn't stop you working on the Mac, do what I did. If it's something like a screen replacement, they have to take it in for repair. But if something like that happened, you can often get a loaner (that you have to pay full price for, but get refunded when you get the repair back).

I don't know where you get the idea of "one shot at replacement". If it's DOA, they have to replace it, X number of times where X >= 1.

5. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

interesting. thanks for the input!