In the market for a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DeadPenguin, Mar 30, 2007.

  1. DeadPenguin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2007
    #1
    Hi I am a Windows/ Linux user that is thinking very seriously of migrating to a Mac.
    I have been saving up for a while and I am close to having enough for an entry level mac pro. My needs are more in line with the iMac, but I really do not like the form factor.
    I was just ready to make a purchase and I stumbled onto the buying guide here that says to wait and upgrade should be soon. I've read the rumors of oct-cores. If an upgrade comes what will happen to the price of the current quad core Macs?

    If the prices will remain constant I will go ahead and purchase now. If the new upgrade is inline with current prices I would of course buy the upgraded mac pro.

    I guess I just have to wait a while and see what happens.

    Regards,
    Blair
     
  2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2003
    #2
    I think that the prices won't change as intels prices never changed. However, some people seem to think there will be price changes. OR maybe a redesign of something other then just a CPU change. Maybe new case design, newer motherboards with faster RAM, maybe a faster PCI express bus who knows. :D I don't think it will be much longer before the new mac pros whatever those might be. So i would wait if it was you. There has been 2 leaks on apple's site already so they should be here soon. :eek:
     
  3. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2005
    #3
    Well, there are a few threads in the forums that talk about this. It comes down to this. April 14-19 is the NAB conference. It has been rumored that maybe the Mac Pros will be updated then along with Final Cut Studio. If I were you I would wait until at least that event. If by chance nothing happens then, then I would go ahead and order it. Also, Leopard (new OS X 10.5) should be released in June so then you could have another waiting game. My suggestions would be to wait until the NAB conference. If the mac pro get updated then buy the new ones or get the older model for cheaper. If they don't get updated its up to you how long you would want to wait. The way I see it is wait a couple of weeks and see what apple releases at the nab conference.
     
  4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #4
    Eight cores don't really benefit any but the most taxing multi-threaded users. Four cores wont really benefit most people for quite a while yet.

    As the quad core chips are pin-compatible with the dual core ones it's safe to say there wont be a major architecture change. If you want one, buy now.
     
  5. DeadPenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2007
    #5
    Wow. I am blown away by the quick responses.
    Thank you.

    I think I will wait at least for a couple more weeks. I think I can hold out that long. :)

    Best Regards,
    Blair
     
  6. NuDarwin macrumors member

    NuDarwin

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2007
    #6
    Good thinking. I think that you'd probably be feeling pretty annoyed if you dropped $2100 and two weeks later, the same $ gets you more.

    I'm not sure that you would have to worry about the octo-core model though. When the G5 quad was introduced, only the top of the line, $3299 model had quad-core. The other 2 still had dual core. So while i'm not sure that the entry level model would even be octo core, I think that you should still wait it out.
     
  7. uMac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    I'm in a similar buying position...

    Looking at buying a Mac (for a while now - Christmas Present en retard) and have been waiting for the new CS3 (CS2 doesn't run native, so I'm using my PC untill I have my hands on the new version).

    I'm also not wanting to spend the money only to see it buy me more in a month (Espically with the Accounced CS3 - Pricey Stuff Just Ate Some of my Upgrade Budjet) but at the same time I can't justify the Pc/Mac gap right now (It has grown). I have until CS3 arrives at my door to buy this computer.

    Stand With me Dead Pegiun...
    We got the Money*, if Apple Wants It, They know what they have to do.


    * Before I find another expensive piece of software to spend my money on :eek: ; and have to downgrade to a mini [Not the car] and your on your own.
     
  8. DeadPenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2007
    #8

    I have made some poor purchasing decisions in the recent past. (PS3 - not that the PS3 is bad just not right for me)
    I don't want to rush into this. Hopefully I can save a couple $$ to put towards - ram - 22" lcd - software etc.. This is a long term purchase. Its more than I need now, but should last me a while and provide me with plenty of upgrade opportunities.


    Blair
     
  9. uMac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #9
    I'm talking about Adobe CS3 (Creative Suite 3) which is a bundle of graphic programs because I do Photography
     
  10. DeadPenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2007
    #10
    I am a pretty big Mac newb but I know what Creative Suite 3 is and even why its better for intel Mac owner than the older version.
    With the Playstation 3 comment I was just saying I don't want to rush into this purchase the same way I rushed into that one and end up with buyers remorse.

    Blair
     
  11. DeadPenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2007
    #11

Share This Page