In the spirit of optimised builds...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brap, Nov 14, 2004.

1. brap macrumors 68000

I've never compiled anything without some application holding my hand; but since a G4 optimised version of Firefox is in the mix, how's about somebody makes a G4/5 build of Thunderbird?

Or give me instructions... OK, it's probably the mozconfig file which is up there... but someone with a bit of experience would probably be able to tell if it had worked or not!

Pretty please?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Do you have the IBM XL C/C++ compilers to do it?

3. brap thread starter macrumors 68000

Since you're asking... and it's therefore not standard, I'm guessing no. I was, however, only really interested in the G4 optimised build (hiding my selfishness earlier on, heh) - which won't need an IBM compiler. Right..?

Followed the insturctions for compilation and whatnot, but I'm getting build errors from CVS saying fork unavailable. Sounds like it's a problem their end, but, uh, I've never done this before. Maybe I screwed up.

It seems after searching the MozillaZine forums that there isn't in fact an optimized PPC build of any kind hanging around...

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

considering IBM makes the processor, i would think their compiler is the most optimized.

5. brap thread starter macrumors 68000

IBM made the G3, and currently the G5. Motorola/Freescale make the G4, so I'm hoping there may be some Altivec optimizations in XCode. Or something.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I stand corrected, but you still can't down play the fact the IBM design of other PPC family of processors gives them the advantage of having the most optimized compiler for the PPC family. XCode uses the gcc, you and read about all the stuff in gcc.

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

The IBM XL compiler is $500. Xcode, which is gcc 3.3 with some Apple add-ons (like the -fast G5 switch), is free.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

IBM's compiler technology is far superior to most of that included with gcc. I won't say that gcc's compilers are rubbish, but they are not commercial developments and often lack full ISO compliance.

Considering that IBM has been dealing with the Power architecture and its predecessor since the 1980s, they would have an edge.