In this threard you will Convince me to buy a 12"PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kelvinz, Jun 9, 2004.

1. kelvinz macrumors member

Well a friend I know is a dealer for apple and is willing to hook me up with a

12" PB 1.33ghz G4
    256 meg ram
    60gb HD
    Combo Drive
    Geforce FX5200 64mb
    Airport extreme

Please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of this system, anything I should be concerned about? When I went in to the apple store to look today the 12" screen looked brighter than the 15"?

I can afford a 15" PB right now, but I am primarily a PC desktop user and my notebook will be on high travel duty as in I'll bring it around everywhere.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Go for it!

I have a 15" TiBook. I´ve´also had the pleasure of using a 12" PB for a few weeks, I think it was the rev A 867MHz. The only thing I didn´t like was the small screen, but then again, what i really (!) liked about it was the sheer size of the computer. When I started using my 15" again it felt enormous. So if you´re after true portability the 12" is the Book to get. I would advice you to get a seperate display for it, if you plan to sit in front of it a lot. Ask you dealer friend if he can give you a good deal on an Apple display or just pick up a cheap LCD from somewhere else.

I´m sure you will be pleased with it. The 12" is my next laptop.

3. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

PB 12"

I have the rev. B PB12", 1GHz, 512mb RAM, 80gb hard drive, BT/AE, combo drive.
    I am thrilled with this thing. Admittedly, the screen is a little small, but I have found that for now, I prefer the weight (or lack thereof) of this machine. I can take it anywhere and I might as well be carrying nothing. To me, the 15's look huge - that is, of course, until I see the monster 17's. :)
    All that said, if you don't mind the smaller size, you will be very happy with it, especially with the rev. C.

4. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

In this thread you will Convince me to buy a 12"PB

Now I'm going to address your original title.
    In this thread you will Convince me to buy a 12"PB

If you don't buy this machine, I'll be calling Mr. Soprano to pay you a visit. :p~~~~

5. denm316 macrumors 6502

I got a Rev. C, I love it, I replaced my 900MHz G3 iBook, and I just totally love it. I enjoy using it a little more then my G5 sitting at my desk.

6. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Oh do i have too. Seemingly the only one here to feel this way so i'll make my point of view known. Dont hate me for this ;). Here we go again...

There really isn't an incredible difference between the 12" IBook and the PowerBook right now i.e. both have the same screen, can support the same amount of memory etc. The main difference if you ask me is the price, which is much more reasonable for the IBook. If you must have a PowerBook and god knows how much i want one ;).

I would go with the 12" model simply because its so much better than the 12"; better screen, more expandable, everything is just better on this thing. A few people will complain that the portabilty of the 15" isn't as good as the 12" but then you get people singing about the portabilty of the 17" model. So, how much of a proble, could that exctra 3 inches be!

Dont get me wrong, i love the PowerBooks, they are truly great machines but the 12"... i just dont know, it just doesnt seem to be worth the price tag if you ask me. But if you really can't be swayed by all means get the 12", it is a really nice system after all :).

Sorry about that heheh,

Edit: i'm an ideot, ignore everything i said lol, for that price it is a very good system and well worth every penny! i'm with the guy who mentioned the saprano's heheh... you must get this machine, for the love of god ;).

Mark.

7. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Well, the 12" PB supports an external monitor at higher res. The iBook only supports video mirroring at native res. And, the PB offer serious looks and is less plasticy.

Go for it man or I´ll beat Mr. Soprano to it!

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have this same combo, except it has the SD. I thought the 12" was going to hard on the eyes, but it is not for me.

I just upgraded to 1gb RAM, and recommend biting the bullet and get more memory.

kelvinz, I would suggest you see what sort of deal for the SD version.

9. dopefiend macrumors 6502

If you are primarily a PC user and want to stick with that, you might want to check out www.averatec.com You can get a 12 incher for less than $1,000 with wireless(802.11g) and everything! ;) Its a bit lighter than the PB, too.

If you decide to go with the PB though, I've heard nothing but great things about it!

edit: Oh yea, don't forget, the 12 inch powerbook lacks a PC card slot.

Averatec laptops include that if it is needed.

10. Zaty macrumors 65816

I love my 12" PB and there is no reason why I wouldn't recommend it. If you travel a lot, you will love the compact size as well as the weight of the 12" PB. Besides, it's a plenty fast computer, so go for it, you won't regret it!

11. nyprospect macrumors 6502

you're breakin my heart ova hea(new york accent) hey for the price take it.Forget Tony soprano ill send the fat homsexual fella to wack ya :eek: pardon me if i offended any one ;)

12. cubist macrumors 68020

Grammar Police Warning

You mean "Persuade", not "Convince".

13. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

LOL why do you even need convincing, its a great deal. Anyone whos ever looked at the Apple store online could tell you that :). Go for it already, right your friend and go YAY.

Mark.

14. Mantat macrumors 6502a

I think you dont need much convincing. If you need the PB for when you are outside your house, the 12" is the way to go. Less weight means less strain on your back/shoulders if you have to carry it over long distance like me. And the small size means that you can carry it in your backpack. Personaly, I put it in a seeve and then put the sleeve in my pack and I have enough room left to put my lunch, and some cloths.

I would only recommend the 15" over the 12" if you are planning to play with FCP or anything that need a lot of screen while you are out of home. At home you can always plug it in your PC screen... Other than that, its a beauty!

15. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

get more RAM

I love my 12" PB - switched from a very small DELL after using PCs forever. My only advice is to get more RAM.

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Go for it ... NOW!!!

I have a G3 800Mhz iBook and I convinced my buddy to get a 12" rev B powerbook. It is a beautiful machine, and for that price for a rev C you cannot go wrong. Portability is a wonderful thing with these machines, and if you get yourself a KVM switch to share stuff with your PC (like your monitor) it would work even better.

For that price you can't go wrong. Get it!!! :D

(P.S. My buddy returned a Dell laptop to get the PowerBook and he absolutely loves it, he named it Precious :p )

17. brap macrumors 68000

...unless of course you have access you a desktop, whereby you can put in an 8x multiformat dual-layer writer for a fraction of the price increase.

18. kelvinz thread starter macrumors member

He would charge me an extra $200 for superdrive, I don't really need superdrive as my pc desktop burns dvd's already. How did you upgrade to 1gig of ram? I thought there was 256megs built into the computer?

I will buy more memory but not from apple ;)

19. kelvinz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion, but first of all avertec laptops are not as sexy as apples.

secondly I don't believe their battery lasts as long which I am concerned about as well.

20. kelvinz thread starter macrumors member

what's a sleeve?

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Oops, you are right i have 1.2gb RAM. I went with OWC 1gb Samsung PC2700 for $359.95.

22. dopefiend macrumors 6502

You should see it in person, looks great :D (my dumbass still hasn't ordered one yet)

Battery life is probably comparable a bit better on the powerbook(3 hours) to (4ish on the powerbook)

I'd buy a second battery on either if your traveling a lot though.

23. kelvinz thread starter macrumors member

haha stop trying to confuse me :p

Avartec's are plastic right :p

24. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Nope.

edit: hehe, Magnesium Alloy case

25. micropop macrumors newbie