1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

In which city shall we host our "Geek Expo?"

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, May 9, 2002.

?

In which city would u want to meet for geekdom, drinks, food, midgets, etc, etc??

1. New Orleans, LA

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. New York, NY

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. San Francisco, CA

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. Washington, DC

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Boston, MA

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ok here it is...

Duke....I'm throwing out the ball...

it's up to u guys to keep it going... ;) :D

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I voted for DC, not just because I'm local, but because its centrally located and Blakespot, a moderator lives here to, and Arn isn't that far either.

And besides, feel a little patriotic and visit the Nations Capital!:D

Hell, I'd even throw in a bbq at my house if we don't get too many people.

3. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I went for New Orleans. Hey, the food....amazing. The party scene....amazing. Plus Eye and myself are locals. That way we can take you to the fun places, and keep you away from the dives. Also, In the summer in NO, the hotels are cheap! If bag'o'donugts is playing then it is a must ;)

Not to mention, the hurricanes, hand grenades, and other exotic drinks there:D

Oh, and one more thing. There is NOOOOOOOOO shortage of strippers :cool:

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd go, if its chosen. Now just to convince the wife, but she'd tag along anyway, I think. She's been itching for a vacation, this summer would be perfect.

5. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

New Orleans is fun in the summer, hot, but fun. We could get a block of hotel rooms in the Mariott, and maybe a small conference room. Hell, lets even invite Woz, and Steve. That would be hillarious if one actually showed! Also, if you have any collectibles, bring them as well. Yup, that would be a killer trip.

6. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But we need to get a few more people on board here. It would be some good photo ops, too. All sorts of blackmail on the boards after the weekend. If we do get a room, we'll have to have a Internet Connection and post to the forums.

We have to retain some sort of geekness, don't we?

7. macrumors 68030

mischief

As logical as DC is.....

SF is a short drive from the Mecca of all Geekdom: Santa Clara county.:D

8. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I know that some of the hotels are setup on Wi-Fi. Hey, lets take a video camera and make movies to post as well. I have a digital camera with 128 MB of memory so that puppy will go a long way. I can take the laptop and transfer then when it is full. Hey we could possibly take so many pictures in a weekend that we might have to call Guniess :p

Also for everyone with famlies. New Orleans has a wonderful aquarium, and a zoo that ranks only behind San Diegos. The shopping at the River Wall is awesome! And did I mention the food.

Geek Fest 2002! Damn, I like the sound of that!

9. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You need to make a correction in the poll eye... Boston, MA, not MD....

Of course, you know I HAD to vote for Bean-Towne... since I am so close to it. :D

People can fly into Logan (international airport) and go from there. We could probably get a better deal on a meeting place by going outside of Boston, since there are planty of towns surrounding it that have tons to offer for facilities.

I did go to NY last year for MWNY, and would not want to return there. I am NOT a fan of large, crouded cities (which includes sections of Boston as well). Give me the open areas with some twisting roads and I am a happy camper (on either the motorcycle or in the truck :D).

10. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sponsored by MacRumors. Sort of like the Geek Cruises. We'd need to make shirts or something. Although, stress less geekdom and make it a very cool shirt, something you'd want to wear. Black.

11. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

as sh*t!!!

I can't believe I messed that one up....sorry!! :eek: :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

A very good friend of mine owns a T-shirt shop here, and we could get a great deal. Come on New Orleans.

13. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

\

I like that too...I think I'll change the name to it... :D

14. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Hmmmmm.. GF2 for short??? eeeeek!!! LOL

15. macrumors 68030

mischief

Gique Chique

It's all about black Fatigues, white socks, Tevas, Leather jackets and as many Gizmos as you can carry. Anyone with a handspring TREO gets extra points.:D

How about Geequetopia?:D

16. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey, you know this. The thing about New Orleans, I imagine that most here have not been there. Eye you know that place is wacked crazy, and like no other place on earth. Can you imagine the looks on some of the faces of folks here as they trudge down Burbon St at 2AM? :D :p :D

17. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You ever been down to DC around the 4th for Rolling Thunder? Never have I seen so many bikes, it truly is amazing. They take over the whole east parking lot of the Pentagon as the staging area and roll on out over Memorial Bridge and around the Mall. Although this year it will be interesting to see what happens. You can't drive by the Pentagon without noticing all the heavily armed Hummers, guards and military security everywhere. The first time I drove by after 9.11 I was floored to see a Hummer out there with the guard manning the machine gun mounted on the top of the truck.

18. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Gique Chique

How about a Newton? Actually anyone who can bring the iWalk wins :D

19. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

GF2 sound good to me.

But the uniforms got me a bit worried, I'd prefer moving away from the paramilitary look.

20. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Can't do it right, might put in a graphic

GF^2

Geek Force 2?

21. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think that would be a scary sight...ha ha ha!!! :D

22. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Good to see you made that new association in your sig... LMAO!!! To think, we brainstormed over that...

For a dress code/uniform, I say, jeans (blue or black) black shirt, black boots, black leather jackets. People with biker jackets get more points then people with HS Treo's. :D People with 800MHz TiBooks (with them) get double bonus points. Maybe have a contest to see how much storage they have for their TiBooks with them. All the drives must be in the same bag/carrier as the laptop. I will be at 170GB within a week or so (40GB inside and the rest outside in three drives).

How about Gathering of DemiGods and Macrumors... or GoDaM :D

23. macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: Re: Gique Chique

Fatigues for the pockets and as a nod to the ARPA. Cargo pants are just a cheap immitation.:D

24. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

new orleans sounds great but PLEASE not in july or august-geeeez its friggin hot and humid there.

great food, music and drinks, mmmmmm,mmmmmmm good.

and a lucky dog "loaded" at 3:00am......life is sweet!

:D

25. Retired

jefhatfield

san francisco because

1) it's on the edge of pacific rim
    2) sf is home of multimedia
    3) sf is near san jose/silicon valley
    4) moscone center and macworld
    5) adobe is in san jose nearby
    6) apple is in cupertino nearby
    7) apple, adobe, dell, microsoft, ibm, hp, toshiba, ti, sun, intel, motorola, amd, macromedia, and many others have this area as home or have a major presence here

8) and finally, sf could host any freakshow ...probably second in america right behind new orleans and all that flashing that goes on:D