Inaccurate battery indicator on 2012 MacBook Air...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Prof., Nov 24, 2012.

1. macrumors 601

Prof.

My little brother has a 2012 13" MBA. Recently I've noticed that the battery meter in the upper right hand corner is inaccurate. It takes forever to go from 100% to 99%, and when it finally changes to 99%, it's still not an accurate read. For example, right now the meter says 99%, but iStat says 94% - iStat seems to be more accurate than the actual meter!

Any idea why this is happening? :confused:

2. macrumors member

I'm having the same problem with 2012 MacBook Air 11". Long delay between 100% and 99%. Both Battery Health Monitor and Coconut Battery report battery level as being approximately 5% lower than reported in upper right menu bar. Battery also at 97% fresh out of box. Anyone know if this indicates battery problem?

3. macrumors 68030

Mlrollin91

Same issue here. I've pretty much have gotten over it though, it just took a little time. Its weird though as the battery drains, it becomes more and more accurate. At 100% there is a 5% spread, but at 20% there is a 0% spread.

I've learned to just live with it. When the MagSafe turns Green I know that there is about 30 minutes left remaining on the charge because its really only at 95%. iStat Pro works well to tell you how long is remaining in the charge even though the status bar says 100%.

I don't ever recall this happening with my 2011 Air and on Lion, must be a 2012 Air or ML issue.

No battery problem, seems to just be software. I took my 11" in the day after I got it because I noticed it immediately. They checked the battery, it was 100% perfect.

4. macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear you took it in. Never understand why people notice problems pretty much right away yet don't take their expensive computers in while they're under warranty. Should solve problems/answer any questions you have by doing that.

5. Guest

Whats even worse is when people get flamed for taking it back. Everyone is entitled to a perfect product

6. macrumors member

This is exactly what I have seen. I wouldn't have taken it in as it seems apparent that it's a software thing. And the battery indicator only needs to be close enough for me as I never use it much below 25%.