Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I was wondering if any of you have noticed that your new iPod Classic's battery meter does not accurately display the battery capacity left. Today I found a problem with mine... I was listening to it earlier in the day, shut it off, put on the hold switch, and the meter was reading about 50% battery - 70% (50% was on the default screen display after the iPod hasn't been used which in monochromatic numbers displays time and the battery meter, the 70% was the green indicator that you see when the iPod's regular screen is lit, i.e. navigating menus, etc.)

At any rate, when i took my iPod out to use again a couple hours later, the battery was dead, displaying the message that no juice remains and you have to recharge. I am confident that i shut it off and that the hold switch was on, because i had to take the hold off to get that screen to display...

I have had battery problems before, and when this happened with my 4th Gen, i took the iPod in to be tested and they gave me a refurbished model.

My questions are:

1. Does your iPod give two different meter readings between the two indicators like i mentioned above with the 50%-70% issue?

2. Has your Classic pooped out when the meter still read that battery remained?

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
This is nothing new. All iPods are known for having inaccurate battery meters. Every iPod I have ever had (2G mini, 5G, 2G nano, 3G nano) would show full battery after 10 minutes of charging from a fully drained state.

adamtce

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
TX
i have had the same problem just yesterday
my battery indicator was at about 90% full battery i turned it off put the hold switch on. then turned my ipod back on about 2hrs later and the indicator read at about 20% battery.

timmypv15

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
my 3g nano does the exact same thing. the monochromatic status screen will display 50% battery while the regular (green) battery will display full battery status

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.