Inactive memory always growing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rgomez, Oct 12, 2006.

1. rgomez macrumors member

Hello there.

I have been having this behaivour the last days... I can't really remember when it started, anyway, the problem is: the inactive memory seems to be always growing. It gets to the point where there is no free memory, and, in some cases, it seems that the OSX moves the inactive memory to the swap space (is that the correct name?) because I get free memory again.

I don't remember installing anything the last days, but, as I said, I don't really remember when this all started. I have closed all the "unusual" programs, just keeping, for example, Mail, Safari and iCal open, and this still happens. So I guess this is something related to drivers or the kernel itself? It seems like a leak or something like that.

The only thing I remember installing before this problem is the Crossover beta. I'm not sure if this started after this or not, but I believe so. I have already uninstalled it, using AppZapper, but the problem hasn't dissapear. I'll check the Crossover page to see if there is something else to do for uninstalling.

Is there a way to check which process could be the one leaking memory? I have tryed the Activity Monitor but I can't really find which one could be the problem.

I have Mac OS X 10.4.8 in a stock configuration mac pro, with 2gb more memory (3Gb total) and 2 HDD more (500gb and 200gb).

2. rgomez thread starter macrumors member

Well... there is no trace of Crossover in my system, so I guess the problem is somewhere else...

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Inactive memory will grow as you close programs and their RAM content is moved from active to inactive just in case you decide to open the program again. If that memory is needed for something else, it'll go ahead and take it.

Perfectly normal RAM management in OS X. You can read more about how it's handled here.

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

In a nutshell: Inactive memory is as good as free memory. :) Don't be afraid of the blue!

5. rgomez thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for the links and explanation. I did read those pages sometime ago, but, what made me ask was the fact that, even with no programs running or being closed or so on, the inactive memory will be growing, that's what made me think it was a leak somewhere.

Anyway, I'll relax for now :). I'll analize also the used and wired memory, to see if the behaivour is the same, but I believe it's not.

Thanks!