Inauguration day "prohibited items."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sethypoo, Jan 10, 2005.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

This amazed me: you are not allowed to bring any signs or posters into the area of the inauguration that is going to take place on January 20th, 2005.

Was this rule in place at the last inauguration? If it wasn't, it was likely put in place due to the anti-Bush turnout at said inauguration.

To me this is a violation of free speech. If I want to protest Bush's inauguration, I want to have a sign. If I want to support it, I would also want to have a sign.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think they mean us.

3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

[sarcasm] What are you talking about?! What if a terrorist brought a sign to the innauguration?! You wouldn't be complaining about free speech then, would you? [sarcasm] :rolleyes:

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

*Queue the Empire March

or are tape players banned as well?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I would expect the obvious. They know Bush is hated, and don't want the worst to happen to him. But posters and signs? You can't really use them as weapons or anything, unless you're going to be close enough to smack him or poke him or something. I hear also that some protest groups were denied permits to be there, despite putting in requests much earlier than some other groups. They were planning on turning around when they saw him coming, and showing him their backs as a sign of disapproval. They had a lot of people signed up to do that, but we'll see. Would be funny if a bunch of people were turned the other direction or started booing. I'd pay to see that.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

someone from the inauguration committee must have watched the Orange Bowl.

i think it's clear what's going on -- dissent has always been hidden from bush. protesters are restricted to areas nowhere near him, top officials who question him have been retired or, worse, attacked in the press, i read somewhere (sorry, no link) that he doesn't want to hear bad news about iraq.

he wants to live in a fantasy world, and his handlers and half the US voting population seem happy to let him. an intelligent man would want all the data before making life and death decisions. and there it is.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Easy summary, all Constitutionary rights are hereby suspended for the Emperors Inauguration Day. You are with him or you are UnAmerican and not worthy of being heard.

8. Zaid macrumors 6502

found that link for you:

link
    (link goes to air america radio, but ultimate source is the Nelson Report)

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

heh, sad thing is you're right, it certainly seems that way. It's quite unbelievable, "land of the free", yeah, right.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I hope it doesn't rain on inauguration day, as umbrellas are evidently a security risk.

Seriously, I don't care. So you can't bring posters or signs. What exactly does it prove to show your displeasure with Bush in sign-form?

He is the President, let him have the dignified day the office allows for. It's not really fooling anyone anyway to present a picture of homogenous serenity. Even if if was, since he is not up for re-election, we are stuck with him no matter how unpopular he may become, short of an impeachment, which seems unlikely considering the make-up of the Senate.

I don't think Bush is Emperor or Caesar, just a guy who makes poor decisions and insulates himself from the resultant effects. I don't think that has changed in 20+ years.

In case you were wondering, I do recognize the 1st amendment rights angle here, but I just believe the wisdom is knowing when to exercise them to practical ends.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The freedom to do so.

12. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So you saying in 2008 that we will all wake up and find out that the 8 years of Bush the Younger was all a dream?

14. mpw Guest

I'm guessing they would claim that the sign, or the stick it's held on, could be use as a weapon. So T-shirt slogans claiming Bush an idiot would be allowed in?

15. Zaid macrumors 6502

Now it seems that the Bush administration is refusing to reimburse the DC for the costs associated with the inauguration. Apparently they want them to use homeland security funds, even though these have already been allocated to other things.

linky [MSNBC -- Originally Washington Post]

From the article

What is the normal deal, does the white house pay for the inauguration or does some other branch of the government pick up the tab?

At any rate it seems awfully unfair to make the tax payers of one city pay for something that is in effect a national event. I think that the city should just refuse to pay more than the $5.4m it gets from the federal budget for such events and just scale down the whole thing. You know, a nice quiet affair for friends and family :)

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I noticed that rotten tomatoes and heads of lettuce aren't on the prohibited list... :D

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oddly enough, it appears crosses are banned.

18. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Did you really expect that they would allow the inauguration to become a protest rally?

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If Americans want to turn it into one, they must allow it.

Freedom of Assembly and all that...

ah, to hell with it! Lock them commies up! Hang 'em high, Texas justice style! Democracy was getting old anyways.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Did the British want to allow Boston Harbor to become a protest rally? :D

Peaceful protest is not only an American tradition, it is our UNALIENABLE right.

Oh and do you really expect that they will allow any effective dissent on the war to take place?

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and did we really expect that they would allow the election to become an actual contest?

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Give us someone who doesn't deserve to be protested, and we won't protest.

23. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Just to stir the pot a little more, what about those who want to protest the fact he doesn't deserve to be protested? :confused: :p

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Both sides should be allowed to protest.

Given the news yesterday that the search for WMD has ended with none found, people should protest the lies that have led to countless lives lost, and destroyed generations by squandered money lost.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They can do that all they want... while we are protesting him.