Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Incipio today expanded its line of CommandKit home automation products, introducing the CommandKit Wireless Smart Wall Switch and Wireless Smart Power Strip, both of which are compatible with HomeKit

The Wireless Smart Wall Switch is designed to offer a way to manually control HomeKit products like lightbulbs, giving users a way to quickly turn them on or dim them. The Smart Wall Switch includes motion sensor functionality that can be used in various HomeKit scenes to automate many smart home products.

incipiosmartwallswitch-800x521.jpg

Incipio's Smart Power Strip features four smart outlets that can be controlled using Siri commands, Apple's Home app, or the CommandKit app. Each outlet can be controlled individually, allowing users to turn standard electronics and appliances into smart ones that can be remotely turned on and off.

incipiosmartpowerstrip-800x421.jpg
"The additions to our CommandKitTM product line offer users even further accessibility to smart solutions to achieve a connected home," says Carlos Del Toro, Director of Products, Incipio. "With Apple's HomeKit platform pioneering connected home utility through optimizing Siri and the Home App and the ascendancy of other simplified smart home devices, evolving our CommandKitTM solutions to support multi-system integration was top of mind during development as there are now multiple entry points for smart home attainability across many audiences."
Incipio's existing CommandKit line also includes the CommandKit Smart Outlet and the Smart Light Bulb Adapter.

The CommandKit Wireless smart Wall Switch and the Smart Power Strip will be available for purchase during the second quarter of 2017. Incipio plans to price the Wall Switch at $59.99, while the Smart Power Strip will be available for $99.99.

Article Link: CES 2017: Incipio Debuts HomeKit-Enabled Smart Wall Switch and Power Strip

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Watch out for those prices. Last time Incipio announced a HomeKit wall plugin at CES they said it would be $24.95. When it launched it was $39.99.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Watch out for those prices. Last time Incipio announced a HomeKit wall plugin at CES they said it would be $24.95. When it launched it was $39.99.

Likely gaining as much profit as possible, that is if the product actually survives, which most of these products are innovative, but are they practical enough for the household with the price point?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

In my experience, anything with HomeKit seems to cost about 1.5X, 2X or more what the same basic thing without Homekit costs. Markup for Homekit must be excessive. Look at all this stuff being announced with Homekit this week. Then, look at what the same thing costs without it... and/or with competing, Homekit-like options.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
In my experience, anything with HomeKit seems to cost about 1.5X, 2X or more what the same basic thing without Homekit costs. Markup for Homekit must be excessive. Look at all this stuff being announced with Homekit this week. Then, look at what the same thing costs without it... and/or with competing, Homekit-like options.

Caseta Lutron switches are not cheap. And they don't support HomeKit as they are Z-wave.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I didn't say- or mean to imply- one can't look around and find anything comparable that will cost more. There's always an exception. What I did say- and meant- is that the same thing with Homekit tends to be a LOT more expensive than it without. Locks, smoke detectors, lighting, and on & on: add HomeKit and the price seems to jump to 150%, 200% or more.

Of course, Apple should get something for the technology, but wow, it looks like they want a big piece of pretty much anything that adds it in.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
So hub, 82dollars on amazon, caseta in wall wireless dimmer 59dollars.
I wouldn't call that cheap.

I didn't say they were cheap, I was referring to the comment about the light switches were not homekit, but the hub is homekit enabled. No where did I mention the word cheap or even mention the price of the product.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
I didn't say they were cheap, I was referring to the comment about the light switches were not homekit, but the hub is homekit enabled. No where did I mention the word cheap or even mention the price of the product.

But you replied to my post which was a reply to someone stating that HomeKit products are inherently more expensive just because they are HomeKit.

Anyway, moving on... I'm curious if any of these devices will be release with EU version which is what I care about :D

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
But you replied to my post which was a reply to someone stating that HomeKit products are inherently more expensive just because they are HomeKit.

Anyway, moving on... I'm curious if any of these devices will be release with EU version which is what I care about :D

Ha... I didn't realize I was commenting on the previous comment when I quoted yours, nor did I comment on the price when you said the switches were not homekit. Of course your quote didn't mention price either. But oh well.

I am extremely happy with their products regardless of the price.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
This looks good - wit more options I can start thinking about changing out my 10 year old Insteon switches which are slowly failing.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
would love to swap out my lutron motion sensing switches with these if they don't need a base station which I assume is true since their homekit wall outlets don't. i'm guessing this will push lutron to release a motion sensing dimmer switch with homekit to match finally in which case i would clearly prefer those. the power strip might find a home in my home though.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I am going to assume the light switches are not, but their smart hub is.

Lutron Caseta uses ClearConnect their own RF based product. The Bridge supports Homekit.

None of these companies have anything on a Lutron based system.
[doublepost=1483588000][/doublepost]
would love to swap out my lutron motion sensing switches with these if they don't need a base station which I assume is true since their homekit wall outlets don't. i'm guessing this will push lutron to release a motion sensing dimmer switch with homekit to match finally in which case i would clearly prefer those. the power strip might find a home in my home though.

Lutron's new product announcement coming tomorrow. We already know they are adding SmartThings support.

Reactions: groovyd

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Lutron Caseta uses ClearConnect their own RF based product. The Bridge supports Homekit.

Lutron's new product announcement coming tomorrow. We already know they are adding SmartThings support.

Correct, sorry, their bridge supports Homekit. Used wrong descriptive name of product.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta

hopefully the new line of devices don't require their base station even though i need it anyways for their serena shades. one thing i dont like about their current homekit compatible light switch dimmer is it doesn't turn on to your last dim setting like their non-homekit dimmer switches do nor does it have any of the advanced programmability settings the old school switches have.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
hopefully the new line of devices don't require their base station even though i need it anyways for their serena shades. one thing i dont like about their current homekit compatible light switch dimmer is it doesn't turn on to your last dim setting like their non-homekit dimmer switches do nor does it have any of the advanced programmability settings the old school switches have.

I don't know if you have been to their forums, but this is one of the most requested items and supposedly they are working on it, or looking into it. I agree, that would be a nice feature to have.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
here is how i imagine smart switches need to go...

a simple smartphone-like sheet of capacitive touch glass with oled display that automatically lights up an on/off symbol when your hand or you get close (similar to ecobee). no physical clicks or moving parts, just touch it anywhere to turn on/off to last brightness setting, slide finger up or down to dim, double tap to full brightness and back to the last dim setting, slide left or right to change to a settings menu where you can set timers, proximity sensitivity, and operating modes (simple, sense on, sense off, timed, random, ...). embedded mic forwards siri commands to assignable homekit controller (iWhatever) so you can control any homekit device by voice from anywhere in your home without having to fiddle with your iphone or ipad. doesn't need the voice feedback or speaker instead indicating success with green check or failure by red x. wifi only of course, no base station required.

azulon1

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016
This connects bring to your Wi-Fi network correct? There is no stupid our rf standards or anything. Pure wifi to HomeKit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.