Incitement to religious hatred

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DerChef, Mar 20, 2006.

1. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

This Labour government in the UK was proposing a Law similar to that about inciting racial hatred (dont think this will go ahead now Blair is now in trouble and wants to steer clear of controversy). This was originally pushed by muslim members of his own party.

I hold a very strong position on this.

Attacking anybody on the grounds of ethnicity, race, gender, disability or lifestyle is morally wrong.

BUT

What people think and say, and especially what is spouted by people who profess to be scholars and learned should be absolutely fair game for anybody not only to question but also to mock.

If more questioning had been done in the past we would all be living in a better world including those who practice religious beliefs!

2. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I too, hold a very strong position on this. I too, hail from Northern Ireland. :cool:

Hmm, question yes. But mock? I don't think that's right learned or not.

3. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Incitement to hatred (and also, in the same breath, this wacky thing of "Glorifying Terrorism", whatever that is) is, in the interests of any potentially disenfranchised group, a self-evident 'good thing'. IMO. But there are surely logical extensions. I appreciate that the whole business blew up (unfotunate word) around the activities of the extremist Muslim elements and the reactions to them. However, and this is restricted to extremists of any 'flavour', I am worried that it is a one-way rule.

For myself, when i saw the demonstration in London, about those cartoons, with the placards saying that 'we' (Europeans or anyone who wasn't on 'their' side) should be beheaded, blown up or just plain killed, I did think that I was being incited to hate them, and to hate them for their stupid, bigotted, and every other rant word I can think of. Here I am, Mr Tolerant, and I am being continually wound up by these stupid extremists who want, somewhere along the line, to cut my head off! Just because I may not take them as seriously as they take themselves (one of our national characteristics is to be totally irreverent about everything) and will NOT recognise that they really do occupy the spiritual and moral high-ground of the world, does not require their sort of extremist response --- in this, my, country. What they do in their own country is just fine, but we have our own way of doing things here and what they CAN do is so often not our way. And I am worried that they ARE deliberately inciting me to hate them.

When we were having the hell blown out of us by the IRA, did we have any of this incitement to hatred stuff? No. We had the bombs go off and we worked our way through it. Do I hate the IRA? No. It was, maybe still is, all a political game that got out of hand at times. But civilised life went on, and we could all take the p*ss out of the IRA (and Irish) and have a drink at the end of the day. But these guys are something else and it is all very scary. IMO.

*Rant rant rant* But I needed to get it off my chest. Sorry. And - er, thanks.