Incoming email problem in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jtgotsjets, Aug 22, 2004.

1. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Alright, I'm having some trouble with Mail.

I recently moved into my college dorm for the year, and in all the move-in hassle (needing a hub, network failures, multiple registrations, bad IPs, blocked ports, etc) I have almost everything working.

The thing is, I can get email in Mail, but I can't send any. I get the attached error message every time. I thought this was the effect of having ports blocked on the KU network, but they have since been unblocked.

I may ask one of the mac persons in my hall, but I figured I'd come here first, as I know for a fact that SOMEONE has to be using Mail.

Attached Files:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I get this when I try to send using an account with one ISP while connected to another (i.e., try to send Earthlink mail while using Comcast servers). Have you verified your outgoing mail server for your account? Can you at least ping it?

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Possibility:
    Some ISPs won't let you use their SMTP servers if you're not in their network. So, when you were home, you were using Comcast (as an example), but now that you're in the dorm, you're not on the Comcast network, so they don't allow you. They do this to help stop spam.
    You may need to check with the company that runs the SMTP server and see if they have some kind of authentication you can use to be able to send.
    Alternatively, you can use your school's smtp server, if they let you.

Hope that helps!
    Lee Tom

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

LeeTom is correct. Your school's network will not allow you to send your email to an outside SMTP server. You need to use the email account that you got through your school. An alternative is to do what most students do. Establish an account with one of the Web-based mail services such as Yahoo or Excite. Your home ISP may allow you to access your mail via the Web. Mine does.

5. angelneo macrumors 68000

Some slight corrections. I believe Lee Tom is saying the the ISP providing the emails sometimes do not allow ip address which is out of their network to connect to their SMTP servers to send mail. He's not saying the school network is preventing people from connecting to any other SMTP servers. I'm not sure if administrators does this version of prevention.

A few solutions is that either you use VPN to get into the ISP network or you can ssh/telnet into any server located inside the ISP network.

Another solution which I am not sure is to use IMAP instead of POP.

The straight forward way is to use another SMTP server. I believe mail allows you to do that.