Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Hey all,

I have three devices setup using iMessages with my associated email address. My Mac, iPad and iPhone.

Everything works properly when sending messages, the conversations stay in sync across all devices, but when I receive messages they only go to my Mac and iPad, not my iPhone.

I tried deleting my iMessage email from my iPhone then reattaching it, but that didn't solve the problem.

Any suggestions, or anyone else having this issue?

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
My girlfriend just developed this issue today, however, she doesn't have an iPad or mac so now she isn't receiving any iMessages, this developed today. Any help?
My iPhone, iPad and Mac are working fine though

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
I solved my problem, if anyone else has this problem try this method.

Settings > Messages > Receive at > Caller ID > (Chose your email, not your Phone Number)

I now receive on all the correct devices!

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
a few weeks ago on my wife's phone it would only pick imessage using her email. I checked the settings and it said some error under her apple ID. I logged her back in and it was fine but it took a while for it to identify with the phone number & email. This was with an iphone and ipad. Currently it will pick up the phone number & email for imessage without issue. I think it was some odd bug because it was fine since last october and only noticed it resently.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I've noticed that if you take the sim out you have to reactivate iMessage sometimes by sliding it off and back on.

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010

Settings > Messages > Receive at > Caller ID > (Chose your email, not your Phone Number)

This would be it. Wish it would default to that. Annoying, really. I was having this issue as well, but everything is good now and incoming messages go to all my devices like they should.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
This would be it. Wish it would default to that. Annoying, really. I was having this issue as well, but everything is good now and incoming messages go to all my devices like they should.

I did that part but when i send a text from example my iMac to my iPhone

The messages icon has a 1 for half a sec then disappear and does no sound, then the 1 auto disappear, so if i don't check my phone i can miss messages.

While if i send from my phone to my mac i get a pop up until i click it

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

This works.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
I did that part but when i send a text from example my iMac to my iPhone

The messages icon has a 1 for half a sec then disappear and does no sound, then the 1 auto disappear, so if i don't check my phone i can miss messages.

While if i send from my phone to my mac i get a pop up until i click it

This happens to me as well, but only if I have Messages on the Mac currently selected. It seems it knows you checked the message, so it just disappears from my iPad and iPhone automatically.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
yeah I put Messages on my Mac, but I don't get messages to my iPhone AND Mac unless I initiated the convo on the Mac first.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
This happens to me as well, but only if I have Messages on the Mac currently selected. It seems it knows you checked the message, so it just disappears from my iPad and iPhone automatically.

So your saying i need to send a message and ASAP close it so my iPhone can show me it's on?

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Are people sending iMessages to your email address or phone number?

ajobes

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Similar problem

So I went into the iPhone and changed the caller ID from phone number to email address.. I use the same email address on the mac software and it all works pretty well: If I send a message from mac I see that sent if I check on the iPhone and vice-versa....

HOWEVER...

If I switch user on the mac it doesn't receive any messages nor does it download them once switched back. I changed all the settings in the iMessage mac app (to not log out, not change status etc.) and nothing seems to work - if I'm not the active user I never get any messages sent by me or received on my iPhone to the email address.

Is everyone else the same?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
So I went into the iPhone and changed the caller ID from phone number to email address.. I use the same email address on the mac software and it all works pretty well: If I send a message from mac I see that sent if I check on the iPhone and vice-versa....

HOWEVER...

If I switch user on the mac it doesn't receive any messages nor does it download them once switched back. I changed all the settings in the iMessage mac app (to not log out, not change status etc.) and nothing seems to work - if I'm not the active user I never get any messages sent by me or received on my iPhone to the email address.

Is everyone else the same?

This is glitched for me too. The messages download after like 5 minutes of waiting, and then they aren't even in the correct order. It is a beta, so I don't expect it to be perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.