Incompatible

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, May 7, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

i liked that article.

I will be staying at a hotel in Chicago for a week, it is 2 blocks from the Mich Ave Apple Store. I have 2 people from work that want me to take them there and demo OSX (I'm the worst at this but will hum a few bars after I go solo the first time and play with the tiger).

Apple needs to play the cards right here, Jobs need to ensure his legacy and bite more market share. I am excited at the potential and scared of the reality.

Thanks for the article wd! :)

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good article.

Apple is definitely on the right track with Mac OS X compatability wise. Mac OS 9, which was very good, simply was not as compatable or easy to use in a Windows environment.

Apple of today (read X) vice Apple of yesterday (read 9 and earlier) is not the same company product wise. Apple of today is a much more leaner customer focused windows compatable company. While I like Mac OS 9 and was a developer in the 7-9 days, Mac OS X rules. Apple is definitely firing on all cylinders.

Sushi

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hey Stubeef.

There is nothing like bringing friends into the Mac fold.

Good luck at your Mac demo.

Sushi

5. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Sigh....

I have made plenty of people switch: and they love their Macs; however, for everyone of those esteemed opeple there are at least 8 jackasses I associate with who still cling to the old stereotypes:

Most people who use computers do so at work, and buy what is familiar: Wintels. They suffer through the expereince just as they do at work: it's what they are accustomed to.

The problem is compunded by many misconceptions about the Apple platform: things are slowly starting to change as Longhorn goes in the tank, but for the ordinary person, computers=Microsoft. Sad, but very true.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I love the Michigan Ave. Apple Store. Always stop in there when I'm in town.
    :D

Always sets my MasterCard on fire, though. :rolleyes:

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Fun article but the Yankees analogy left me cold. I'd always thought the reason I didn't like the Yankees was because they had lots of money and success, and abused their position in the market by spending their cash on stealing players away from other teams by offering contracts they couldn't afford.

I'd have said Apple were more like the Red Sox (if we're sticking to the Boston aspect of the story). Just as storied a history, gave their star player away (a little like MS borrowing the Mac's GUI) and never quite recovered until recently.

Switching people is getting easier though; they're a lot more willing to listen than they were in the past although there are still old die-hards who don't listen. Strangely, I've found that it's the intermediate users who are tougher to switch. Real geeks are interested because of the Unix base, newbies are interested because they've given up using their Windows boxes because it's been zombiefied. The intermediates know what they're doing on Windows, have just enough tech savvy to keep it reasonably clean and now that they've learned all those hoops they have to jump through to make movies etc, aren't keen on relearning them all again on a Mac (even though the hoops aren't as high)