Incomplete posts

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Blue Velvet, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Quite often, I see new threads where there might be one word like 'I' or just now, 'hey'.

What is happening when that occurs? Just curious 'cos it's never happened to me. Browser problem? User error... forum error?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Har Har Har :D

I'm not sure. I would bet it would be user error vs. MR error, but I'm not sure. I havent' really noticed the phenomenon you're speaking of.

4. dcv macrumors G3

Classic PEBCAK.

(Problem exists between chair and keyboard)

5. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

I was thinking more along the lines of it being error code: ID10T :D

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    People start typing, hit tab for some reason and then hit return to create a new line but since the tab means focus is now on 'Submit', the result is that the form gets sent before they intended for it to submit.

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I LOVE that acronym! :)

This is probably the best explanation. It happens to me all the time in web forms, but I always catch it before I hit return.

---
    JSW - Sorry about that, they were in the same post in my mind, but I didn't actually merge them. Again, sorry.

8. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

9. mpw Guest

Our IT guy always uses 'PICNIC'

Problem In Chair Not In Computer

haha........oh wait, cheeky ***t!

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I suggest a year's worth of training before allowing new people to post.

This should also cut down on the current volume since all members would be required to submit to the training until they can pass a rigorous, timed test.

In addition, a comprehension test should be given to see if members actually read all of the posts before posting a reply of their own.

I believe there is another matter, but I can't think of it now.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

My term of choice is Operator Headspace Error...I like the technical feeling it gives.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I know a forum member who felt very stupid when this happened to him. And he's sitting in my chair right now! I learned my lesson since then and avoid hitting the wrong key when I'm starting a thread.

There was a change in one verison of vBulletin, which we were never able to identify, that made the return-key problem start happening frequently when people create threads. It still happens to people regularly.

Until/unless we find something to do about it, please report the premature posts you notice. The moderators routinely remove them (along with the snide remarks some people post) rather than Wasteland them to avoid embarrassing the poster, who almost always gets his or her thread created properly after another try or two.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Good suggestion, Q. I usually try to wait a few minutes before reporting incomplete posts in case the poster is editing the post instead of just starting anew.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for being so considerate about it.

I still don't know why this problem started being a problem, but I managed to track down when. It was February 2006.

15. Lau Guest

How do you know? I'm intrigued now.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Because I found a question I wrote to the other "staff" about it. The appearance of the problem didn't seem to coincide with an update to the forum software, which left me unsure whether it really started happening on one particular day, or whether that was just when we started to notice it.

17. Lau Guest

I see. All tucked away in the secret caverns then. :D

Thanks for clarifying it, Doctor Q. :)

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its irritating, but yeah usually after a few minutes the thread has been editied and the intended content is present.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Some people type too fast for their own good and erase everything they typed without even knowing it...or maybe its just me.

Bless

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

COMMAND-CONTROL-S submits the reply in a new tab for me in Safari (a new window if preferences are set as such). I've accidentally submitted this way before. :eek:

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Excellent idea bousozoku! :D

22. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

OooooOOooOoh! Keyboard shortcut! I wonder if this works in Firefox as well.

EDIT: It submits, but not in a new tab. I love it anyway! Me loves the keyboard! I don't know why I didn't think about Control-S...I use Control-B and Control-I. :)

23. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

This is exactly right. I've done this numerous times and have had to then go back and edit my partial posty. In some apps tabs are white spaces, in others they move from field to field. I don't think there is a reasonable way to resolve it, but I know that this is at least part of the problem.