Incorrect colors

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ja Di ksw, Jan 26, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hi everyone,
    When I look at colors on my mac/iPad/etc from Apple, a color that has R28 G40 B43 looks more green than blue, even though blue is higher than green. It looks like this on other macs/iPads/etc that friends have. However, if I look at it on a windows computer, it appears blue. Can someone explain what is happening?
    Thank you in advance

2. macrumors 65816

Macs and PCs typically default to different color temps and gama settings. Often one is warmer and the other is cooler. The solution is to calibrate the displays.

3. Guest

I agree with Laird^

I've heard good things about the Sypder4 calibrators. Make sure that you avoid using the built in calibrators that computers have. The results can often be pretty terrible.

4. macrumors 68030

If you want a less expensive pretty good calibrator the Huey works well.

Supercal works well for software but ultimately you are seeing different gamma levels.

Embed a color profile with your image.

5. blanka, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

macrumors 68000

No they don't. Since OSX 10.5 OSX defaults to sRGB as well. So both OS-es expect 6500K whitepoint, 2.2 gamma and sRGB primaries. Apple even has new iMacs sRGB calibrated in factory. Very unique to adopt a MS standard this thorough!

BTW, your colour should look bluish-green (cold dark grey). What iPad and macs are you using? What display do you use and what profile did you pick at the monitor control panel?

6. macrumors 65816

I wasn't aware of the change in 10.5.

Still, calibration is the way to go if you want somewhat consistent color. ;)

7. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

The Huey is like 8 years old! A cheaper alternative would be the ColorMunki Smile or Spyder4Express. However both of these entry level calibrators use cheaper colorimeters than there bigger brothers. I would recommend either the Spyder4Pro or the ColorMunki display if you can afford it. I've used both and got slightly better results with the CM.

8. macrumors 68030

How old it is doesn't matter. The software is upgraded and the hardware is hardware.

9. macrumors 68040

Actually not true. A lot of old colorimeters don't correctly deal with LED backlights, and many of them use filters inside which age and shift in color, leading to incorrect calibrations.

10. macrumors 68030

This one deals with it fine

----------

I should add. I have a much more expensive one as well. A Snyder. And the results are so,liar. A bit more magenta from the Huey.

11. macrumors 65816

How's that PowerMac G4 working out for you? ;)

The hardware has changed and improved greatly in that time. Take a look at some reviews and comparisons between the Spyder 2/3/4.

That said, even the Huey will be better than nothing but it isn't worth investing in these days (IMO).

12. macrumors 68030

Well. The point of mentioning it was because you can get them ridiculously cheap. that's why it was listed as the less expensive option. I think I paid $20. And it beats software calibration

My Rmbp is doing fine thanks as are my rx1 and 100, nex 5m with legacy contax lemses, and 5d2 w L glass. :p