Increase HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Peter Griffin, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    Would you increase the HD on an iBook 14 w/ Superdrive (money not an issue)? I'm afriad that it'll make my iBook a tad bit heavier. My other option would be to get some DVDs or buy an external harddrive. What do you think?
  2. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I'd always go internal for convenience failing that external for storage and DVD only if you don't plan on accessing the data very often.

What size do you have/want and what are you are going to use it for?

Finally is the iBook still under warranty?
  3. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    Well I'm in the process of getting one. Just can't decide on how I should go about deciding.

EDIT- As for size I don't need 80 gb right now (thats what I'm planning to upgrade it to) but I don't know if I will in the future. That's why I'm asking those on here who've used a mac long enough. I don't do much video editing/graphics work. Just the basics and some downloading here and there.
  4. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    I got my iBook with 100GB built in, I need everything in one package, or else I woudl have gotten a 12", and added external DVD writer and bigger HD. As I am a student, i want an all in one.
  5. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I guess on paper it says 60 gb for the stock 14. How much would I really be getting after you factor in the preinstalled software and everything?
  6. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I think the weight change would be infinitesimal, and you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference unless you were 1) a digital scale, or 2) a "weight guessing" carny. You're neither of those, right?
  7. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    I believe its 55gb once you get the hardrive, and then there is all that preinstalled stuff.
  8. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    On a previous thread, someone said their stock iBook had 47GB of actual usable space once everything was installed.
    I think a good basic principle is to get as much HD as you can afford at the time you purchase the computer. HD space will fill up quickly, especially if you are interested in either digital music or pictures.
    The advice for RAM is similar, but go third-party on that one.

Best wishes!
  9. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005

IT should be around 54...but after removing languages, and extra printer should get 57. (remove idvd, and garageband) and you should be veryyyy close to 60.... (i got an extra 8 gbs from removing that above)
  10. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    For those of you who have a Superdrive...How effective are they at backing up data? Do you find it to be a hassle to use DVDs?
  11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    In a heartbeat. Over time, you'll always find you need more space. My first computer had a 250 MB disk. The one I'm on now is 80 GB. Granted, that's over 11 years, but you get the idea. Also, even if you don't use the space, when you upgrade and possibly sell, I would imagine you could get a little more for it with more room.
  12. MisterG5 macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2003
    Jackson, MI
    But you are forgetting that you only get 55.8GB of usable space thanks to formatting.
  13. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    No, you only get 55.8GB of usable space because hard drive manufacturers have defined a megabyte as a million bytes even for years, even though a megabyte is actually 1,048,576 bytes. Thus when a HD manufacturer says "60GB" they mean 6 billion bytes, which divided by 1,048,576 is... well, you do the math. :p