Increase in iPhone and iPad Thefts Accounts for Rise in New York City Crime Index

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 28, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The New York Times reports that New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg today released crime data for the city as 2012 draws to a close, noting that a slight increase in the overall major crime index for the city can be entirely accounted for by an increase in iPhone and iPad thefts.
    Thefts of Apple devices have naturally grown as their popularity has increased, and police in New York and other cities have been working to break up extensive rings of thieves and dealers trading in stolen iPhones and other electronics. Last year it was reported that in some New York City precincts more than half of the robberies in some months involved iPhones.

Today's report also notes that police have been emphasizing efforts to address theft on the city's subways, which are popular locations for gadget thefts due to the crowds and easy getaway opportunities.

Article Link: Increase in iPhone and iPad Thefts Accounts for Rise in New York City Crime Index

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 68000

jetjaguar

5. macrumors 65816

So along with 32oz sodas, he's now going to ban Apple products in the city. :) :p

6. macrumors regular

I take transit and sometimes worry about that. If there are enough people on board, I'll use my iPhone/iPad without worry.

7. macrumors 6502

Well by comparison, he would allow you to bring a 16 GB, but not the 32 or 64. But you're also ok to bring 2 of the 16 GB models. :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 68030

needfx

class action suit for making covetable & high black market value products.

9. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

I think you mean 64 GB iPhones. Surely 32 is large enough for everyone?! Ban them all!

10. macrumors 6502

Playing with statistics to make a lame excuse!

The increase in Apple products is due to growth in smartphone numbers and probably offset by decreased number of regular phone thefts.

If Apple hadn't increased, those others wouldn't have gone down as much and the crime number would still be bigger.

This is just some politician trying to give a reasonable sounding explanation why something else caused a problem and he shouldn't be blamed.

11. macrumors 6502a

So it looks like "Find my iPhone" doesn't really help...

12. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

I wonder how long before Samsung films an ad, mocking iPhone users for exposing themselves to theft.

13. macrumors 6502

Joe-Diver

Samsung Execs are scratching their heads, wondering how they can get people to steal the Galaxy S3....and then they can make a commercial about stupid, out of touch thieves stealing the iPhone......

14. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

"Buy our cheap crap! It won't get stolen!"

15. macrumors 68030

TallManNY

These devices have unique identifying numbers. I still don't see why Apple, the Cell Companies, and the police can't coordinate to catch crooks stealing these devices. At least if the crooks don't ultimately fence them overseas. And seriously the guy doing a snatch and run job on your iPhone as you walk down the street texting, that guy doesn't have access to an overseas fence. Why can't Apple shut the device's access off from the Apple store? Yes, then folks can jailbreak. But that is another inconvenience and lowers the value of the stolen phone.

16. macrumors 6502

Maybe NY could get in on the band wagon and sue apple.

17. macrumors 6502

Don't laugh. Something like that wouldn't surprise me one little bit. Not in the culture we live in today. So don't give the douche bags any ideas.

18. macrumors 68040

Not surprising. I'm very careful with using my iPhone in the city but its always a little risky. It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.

19. macrumors 68000

Hmm - people need to be more careful and use digression.

I tend to zone out on the subway listening to music

20. macrumors 6502a

These sorts of reactions of immense insult is what makes these commercials so great. The fact so many people hate Samsung is hilarious-just as hilarious as people who hate Apple.

21. macrumors regular

If Only Assault Rifles Were Legal

There is a simple solution to this problem. We need more guns in our inner cities to prevent crime. We need an assault rifle store on every block in Manhattan. That will teach these theives a lesson.

22. macrumors member

Bloomberg obviously needs to ban i devices. Its for the children.

23. macrumors 65816

ctdonath

Find My iPhone lets you lock, erase, or brick an iPhone remotely. You can also see where it is, and...um...talk the guy into returning it.

Can also make it beep loudly, great for when the kids have hidden it.

24. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Two sides to this. Either you are on the side of Apple product control or you believe that Apple products do not cause crimes... people cause crimes.

Political mess incoming! :rolleyes:

25. macrumors 68030

bbeagle

Or if people could just buy MULTIPLE iPads and iPhones, it's a win-win. Apple sells more, and if your iPad or iPhone gets stolen, you have another one at home.