Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ry60003333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
I currently have two 1 TB hard drives attached to a Mac running Leopard Server, and I just purchased two 2 TB hard drives. The 1 TB drives are currently in a mirrored RAID 1 array, and I would like to increase the size to 2 TB. What is the best way to do this with the least amount of downtime, as there are a lot of files on these drives that need to be accessible.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I don't know which server you exactly have, but I figure you're running the drives externally.

So keep the current 1TB RAID set, create the new 2TB set and simply copy the data over (via CCC for example). When you're done, erase the 1TB set.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I don't know which server you exactly have, but I figure you're running the drives externally.

So keep the current 1TB RAID set, create the new 2TB set and simply copy the data over (via CCC for example). When you're done, erase the 1TB set.

Not sure if CCC would do this, but I'd check out rsync or one of its derivatives. This way, you can sync the entire volume, and then sync only the changes made when you are ready to cut over. For that matter, you can sync several times a day and only new changes will be copied, not the entire volume.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
1. Configure new 2TB array.
2. Restore from backup. (You're a good server admin and make backups, right?)
3. Boot from new array.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Not sure if CCC would do this, but I'd check out rsync or one of its derivatives. This way, you can sync the entire volume, and then sync only the changes made when you are ready to cut over. For that matter, you can sync several times a day and only new changes will be copied, not the entire volume.

That's exactly what CCC does! :D

It uses the rsync process and support both full and incremental syncs/backups.

I've been using CCC for years now with my machines for cloning drives and backups and it never disappointed me. Great piece of software!

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
That's exactly what CCC does! :D

It uses the rsync process and support both full and incremental syncs/backups.

I've been using CCC for years now with my machines for cloning drives and backups and it never disappointed me. Great piece of software!

That's good to know. I used CCC once I believe. Thanks!

Use the process Transporteur detailed above. You can have both arrays online and get a perfect duplicate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.