increased marketing share

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by jaronimo, Feb 18, 2002.

1. jaronimo macrumors newbie

why deos everyone want apple to increase there 5% market share? we have a nice stable os with nearly no viruses an way less problems than we would have with 90% market share. by the way, if i have a porsche, i don't want everyone to own one either, i want to be superior in some way.

2. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    I dunno, ask Apple. They are the ones that opened 27 stores across the USA last year.:)

I want to see Apple technology in more hands. It may never end up in, say, half the businesses and households in the world, and I don't think it has to. I'm just rooting for the health of the company, and more sales would certainly help.

I know its tempting to think that one is the coolest kid on the block because they use a Mac and know something that others' don't (has a certain, secret-society snob appeal) but up until recently, the only way we could get others in the fold was word of mouth and directing them to the web site. (face it, there are a lot of deserving, very cool people out there who may not even had considered going to Apple because of the rubbish that's foisted upon the general public regarding the endless PeeCee's vs. Apple comparisons/arguments) We want those people to join us, don't we?;)

There are plenty of ways to "be superior" if that's a concern. (and I hope it's not!);)

And one of the reasons that the majority of virus' aren't written to attack Apple devices (not only that they're just aren't enough of 'em out there to bother doing so, thus small impact) is that I understand those who write and send out such things have a respect for Apple and their products. In other words, they think they're "cool" and basically leave them alone.

Which brings up an interesting point:

If, over time, the Mac and its OS become even bigger in the future, will we see a reduction in virus attacks beacause of the inherient "likability" of the platform?

Only time would tell...

So, go ahead, Apple. Sell yourself silly. Gain a few more points. All it does is give me satisfaction (and, not to mention, that "superior" feeling!) of saying "I told you so." Back in the dark days, when everyone thought Apple was going down the drain, I NEVER gave up hope and NEVER waivered from my stance of "Go ahead. Buy a Mac. Apple will be around for a long time. Trust me."

Ah, what a feeling.:D

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Market Share

Apple should increase it market share to 10%, then that would be a good stable area for them. Of course I would love to see Apple have a huge market share but then we would not have the quality that we have now. And it is more fun to attack big brother.
    GO APPLE

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Two of these.

There is a poll running with this same topic right now. There, I said I'd like Apple to be around 20%. Niced and healthy for the company and not too big.

Juuuuust right.

Matthew

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I don't know if Apple will ever seem more then 5-10% market share. I would like to see Apple products (computers as well as other devices) in the hands of the general masses. Maybe then they will realize what a product done right both looks, and acts.

I have been a Mac fanatic since 1988 (I know there are people that have been longer).

I just impressed the h*ll out of our server admin with the iPod... :D

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

market share...

I feel a bigger market share shows more stability for the company....thus making us as consumers feel more secure our favorite computer company is going to be in business in the future... :p

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

apple is at their lowest share of the market in recent years, but i believe the new imac will dramatically change that

and i think people will dump their aging pentiums and consider a new imac which will simultaneously drop pc market share and increase apple market share...how many people do you know who buy an apple switch to pcs later by choice

...in my experience, that number has been small and those switching to pcs had to for their job

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How many of the large market share peecee companies went through huge layoffs not too long ago??? I would prefer to have a relatively small market share, and a stable company then one that is stretched too far becuase of the larger share.

Either way, I hope Apple is around long after m$ is dead and burried.

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i wouldn't hold your breath concerning microsoft dying even though i went through many years hoping for that ;-)

apple could use another 5.5 percent share in my eyes to make it an even and stable 10 percent...wall street analysts are still saying bad things though

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

wait a minute... arent we unfairly comparing the apple market share to the entire share of everything that is not apple (computer hardware wise)?

arent we saying that "the combined share of Gateway, Dell, Microsoft, HP, Micron, Sony...etc. etc. against the share of apple"

of course thier combained share would be way more then just apple alone. can we put them on level playing fields like.... the share of gateway pcs versus the share of apple computers...etc. etc. not just saying pcs in general.

do you see my point?
    is this not whats going on? am i getting this wrong here? am i off? do i not see this properly?

im not versed in this area so some help i would appreciate to see it properly.

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

re marketshare

I think we need more marketshare for stability as well as market acceptance...

I don't necessarily want Apple to take 95% of the market.... I think 20-30% would be ideal... in that it would garner enough respect from the industry that we wouldn't be considered a niche-player.... yet, also keep Apple on it's toes...

You think we'd get the flatpanel iMac design or iTunes/iDVD/iMovie/iPod if Apple were at 90% marketshare?

arn

12. guv macrumors newbie

with ony 5% market share can we blame people for maybe not buyin with apple since, with only 5% we are kinda negliable neway? i kno 4 other mac users, and about 40 pc users with all their new games, latest updates and large selsction of hardware. as i bought a 500mhz imac my mate had just upgraded from a 500mhz pc to a 1.8ghz.

bigger numbers impress the crowds, bigger mhz, bigger ram, bigger market share...

we r screwd

guv.

13. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

No we're NOT screwed. Five years ago it was easier to say that about apple, HOWEVER, I always said that it would get better. In fact I got my grandparents to invest in Apple when its share was low right beefore the G3's came out...They've made a bit of money off of that...kinda, havent sold yet.

We're good, and gettin better everyday :D

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

it's called a recession.....the whole country is in it....not just Apple!