Increasing DVD burning speed

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mrgreen4242, Jan 7, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hi all -

Is it possible to force a Superdrive to burn a disc at a speed higher than it is rated for? I picked up some 1x DVD-Rs for next to nothing, but at an hour a disc, it's rather laborous... can I force the burn to go to 2x?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

I think it will depend more on the media .. I bought 2x rated media that burned at 2x in my Pioneer drive but at 4x in my NEC ..

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The disc, if burned at too high a speed, can literally come apart. It will fling little pieces of DVD around, destroying your drive, possibly your computer, and maybe hurting you. The disc can also overheat, melting and turning to goo inside your drive.

Just burn overnight...

4. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

now now .. let's not get too carried away ..

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've seen a CD drive blow like that before (it didn't recognize the media correctly) and my friend and I were pretty amazed at the damage that it did. Just the drive, but it was in a big tower and there was CD goop stuck to some of the back of the box. :eek: Be careful with them CDs...

We were eating at the time it blew, so no word on what it sounded like. Smelled BAD though.

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

whoa thats crazy

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yup. Don't try this at home, kiddies...

8. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Well I guess it al comes down to common sense too .. going from 2x to 4x should be OK if the media supports it .. going from 1x to 16x might be a bit more dangerous ..

But with 4x media so cheap why still buy 1x ones ..