Increasing Mouse Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by alanj, Feb 20, 2004.

1. alanj macrumors newbie

I have moved from Windows to Mac.

On Windows, I was able to set the mouse sensitivity high so that I could move across the screen in a short movement (less than the width of a mouse pad).

On the Mac (OSX 10.2.8), I have set mouse sensitivity to Max, but still it takes about full width of a mouse pad to cross the screen. Is there a way to increase the sensitivity, or do Mac users get used to picking up the mouse to reposition it all the time.

I use a MS optical mouse.

2. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: Increasing Mouse Sensitivity

I experienced the exact same issue when I switched. There's nothing wrong with Mac OS X. I believe that they increased the max speed with the release of Panther. Are you using Jaguar?

Otherwise there are a couple of third party programs that speed it up even more if you want. I just got use to it myself. Now that I forced myself to use a slower speed, I've found I like it better.

3. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I have Panther, and at the maximum setting I can move from one side of the screen to the other in less than the width of the mouse. I don't have it set this high though, I prefer it less sensitive so that I have more control.

4. alanj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I found a OS 10 Intellipoint Driver on the MS site, and that made the mouse tracking faster.

So the problem is resolved now.

5. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Did you have Panther?

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

See alanj's original post.

7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

try to find a preference pane online called "mouse zoom"

it will let you push up the max speed mad high

8. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Oops, missed that part. Thanks.

9. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

well i dont have a mouse pad..coz its a woreless optical mouse..but i can cross my screen with hardly any movement of the mouse..certainly much less than the width of the mouse pad.and i dont have the sensitivity to max even...
    but then its only 12 in ibook...so may be ..get a smaller monitor:D

10. painimies macrumors member

I would recommend a shareware software called "USB overdrive" It let's you change everything on any USB controller.

11. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i have found out that most pc users tend to think "the faster the mouse moves, the better", while most mac users tend to think "the more accurately the mouse follows hand movement, the better". which one is closer to the truth, is a matter of opinion.

however, come to think of it, the faster you set your mouse, less resolution you get for the movement.

12. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

That's what I found too. Once you get use to a slower mouse sensitivity, then you find it's allot quicker to accurately move your mouse around. You're not always overshooting your target.

13. geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

Panther uses mouse accelleration, too, so when you quickly move the mouse, the mouse will go faster across the screen. If you move the mouse slowly, the mouse won't accellerate across the screen as much.

14. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I've noticed that effect. Interesting you should mention it. I've never heard anyone document that it's there before.