Increasing UK Mac Market

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ensign Paris, May 21, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

MacMinute reports:

Apple adds to UK market share
    May 21 - 08:20 ET  Apple UK has seen a 21.2 percent year-over-year growth in sales, according to a new report from IDC, as noted by MacUser UK. The growth, which is attributed in part to new retail partnerships, has boosted Apple's UK market share from 2.5 percent to 3.2 percent. Overall PC shipments fell 4.0 percent in the UK during the same period.

Good news for us Apple UK guys :)

Ensign

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's definitely good news. seems substantial to me.

especially given the complaints from uk folks concerning price difference and not so great support always....

good news.

3. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

There are two things people in the UK are good at:

• Complaining
    • Being bad at things

I do not include the second one in World Cup status where we are going to KICK ASS, hopefully ;)

Ensign

4. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well sure, if you lump the whole uk together. that increases your chances greatly...

of course, us sucks at soccer. oh whoops. football. ha

6. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

7. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

well my favourite food is the number one sold in England, Indian! It rocks! Oh yeah, I am also a great fan of Pizza and Fish and Chris ROCKS!

Ensign

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Increasing UK Mac Market

Do you have numbers here? How many actual machines are we talking about, not percentages.

But overall, its a nice turn of events, maybe they'll put an Apple Store in London soon:D

9. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Is any of this going to affect apples' profile at UK expos? Only recently have they started paying much attention, and even then only what seems like token notice. It would be nice to see apple having more than just a stand which is in no way any different to all the other ones around, and perhaps even a talk from some major apple representative.

It seems all those adverts i've been seeing on the tube for the ibook and such have been paying off. Great.

10. Interiority macrumors member

I wonder how much of this is due to the recent retail push through PC World? They seem to have lots of kit on display these days (but no software), although everytime I go in there customers seem to be actively discouraged from buying Macs.

The Apple Centres here still seem to be quite good (at least the one in Warrington), but for the most part are well hidden from the general public.

11. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Every time i've been into PC World to check out the macs, there's been exactly nill attendants with knowledge about them. Normally, if you stand and look at a wintel system for about 10 mins, you're going to get apporached and asked if you're interetested. With the macs, you actually have to go and find someone. What's frustrating though is that they invariably have old hardware. When the ice iBook was released, PC World were still selling the clam-shell at the original price :mad: