Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
What is the best way to increase the traffic to my website. I wouldn't mind paying a little bit. But I'm not really selling any products so I don't think pay per click ads would be appropriate.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Umm...

Not to be too blunt, but you really need to have something to offer on your site before you try to start publicizing it. There's no information there, just a blank web site.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Umm...

Not to be too blunt, but you really need to have something to offer on your site before you try to start publicizing it. There's no information there, just a blank web site.

ok, but most of my site needs users. chat, wiki, forum and videos.

Applespider

macrumors G4
ok, but most of my site needs users. chat, wiki, forum and videos.

But it's unlikely you'll get a random group of strangers to all click on a blank site and start chatting...

You need some content or a theme to get them interested.

We're all here because we own/have owned/are thinking about owning a Mac. There's a common interest to the site.

You need to find something that you're interested in and try to find other like-minded people to join you. A few articles on the subject should get you higher up the Google rankings and get you more new members

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
But it's unlikely you'll get a random group of strangers to all click on a blank site and start chatting...

You need some content or a theme to get them interested.

We're all here because we own/have owned/are thinking about owning a Mac. There's a common interest to the site.

You need to find something that you're interested in and try to find other like-minded people to join you. A few articles on the subject should get you higher up the Google rankings and get you more new members

Ok, will do.

Elixer

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
If the forum is an important part of your site you might want to cut down on the amount of categories to start off. You can always move content to other categories later. For example instead of listing all the consoles just have "Console Gaming" and a "PC gaming". That way it will look busier.

Then before you go out and try to promote your site. Try and get as many people as you know family and friends to start posting. That way when you finally start to advertise it won't look empty. People don't like empty forums. Hope that helps a little bit.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
If the forum is an important part of your site you might want to cut down on the amount of categories to start off. You can always move content to other categories later. For example instead of listing all the consoles just have "Console Gaming" and a "PC gaming". That way it will look busier.

Then before you go out and try to promote your site. Try and get as many people as you know family and friends to start posting. That way when you finally start to advertise it won't look empty. People don't like empty forums. Hope that helps a little bit.

Cool, Thanks.:) :) :)

chepistolas

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
I am in the same boat dude. If you still go to school then start promoting on campus. Get your friends to do you a favor and start posting things. I see that you have google ads on there already, it wouldn't be a bad idea to give some of your profits away to those who post. Example: Tell your friends that in a year the person who contributes more information will be given a cash prize. Start small like food certificates or something like that. I am in college right now so I will be posting things around campus with chalk and hit all the kids with flyers.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Umm...

reminds me of that Blank Page site a few years back....

If you are going to get more traffic you have to give the user an incentive to want to come and stay on your site. Just becuase you build it doesn't mean people with want to go there..... Competitions, information, quality of the site, etc is the main reasons yuo get people wanting to be on you site.

Nothing on your site is 100% complete and search engines will can a site like yours in the results so until your site is finished you can't really talk about marketing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.