Incredibly bizarre psych condition

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Deepdale, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Did anyone watch yesterday's "Primetime" that opened with a segment by correspondent Jay Schaedler that dealt with a psychological disorder with the acronym BIID -- Body Integrity Identity Disorder? Those affected struggle with intense desires to have one or more of their limbs amputated, and then voluntarily engage in self-destructive practices designed to cause enough physical damage so that their wish becomes reality.

Case in point: Placing one's feet into a bucket or pail deep enough to reach up to the knees and then filling it with dry ice, remaining there for hours as temperatures plunge to 50 or 75 degrees below zero. After doing that, one man then drove himself to the hospital. Doctors were unable to do anything and had to remove both legs. When Jay's story ended, I shook my head in disbelief.

http://www.overground.be/article.php?code=66&lan=en

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

That's unbelievably disturbing. I cannot even fathom what this disorder would feel like.

3. Takumi macrumors regular

4. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

That's so sad. I can't imagine what it must be like to feel that way. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to attempt to seek help for such a condition. This article made me a little more thankful for my health, both physical and mental.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

6. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Exactly what I was thinking.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I saw the show. I guess the most frustrating part was that one of the patients -- the guy who actually succeeded in getting his legs amputated -- has finally, through a combination of Prozac and therapy, come to understand that it was a crazy thing to do.

I have to admit that I got cracked up at the segment about people with "Foreign Accent Syndrome" because it reminded of the song "She Thinks She's Edith Head":

8. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I think I have the opposite disorder where I want additional appendages attached to my body so I could get more things done....

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i had heard about this a while ago, and thought it was extremely interesting.

good old lithium should help

10. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Um... so do Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow and Mariah Carey fall into this category, too??

11. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

That was interesting to hear him acknowledge that. It is so hard to imagine how stunned the husband of that woman in France must have been when she told him she wanted her legs removed.

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    And yet there are some amputations that doctors do for patients who think that the parts don't belong.

:rolleyes:

13. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

From what I understand, it's actually similar to some gender disorders. In the way that some men feel they should be women (and vice-versa), there are some people who feel that they should not have all their limbs (either because they think the appendages should have never been there, or because they feel they should be an amputee). It's highly related the the idea of "nullification" which can often involve male genetalia.

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

This was a recent ER episode I believe.

Guy calls 911 to say he had an accident and his arm has been cut off (or something like that)

he's really weird in his demeanor the whole time they deal with him and eventually its found out that

"If you put it back on me, I'll cut it right back off"

he has an amputation fetish, he cut of his own arm, or did somethinig so that it would come off.

15. Baron58 macrumors 6502

We had one of those 'devotee' freaks at work for a while - good riddance when we finally fired him. He was only attracted too/would only date amputees. Kept updating his personal fetish website from work, and spent all day doing no work but surfing/posting to these amputee sites and some religious discussion message board (shipoffools). For weeks before we fired him, I had to remotely monitor his desktop and any non-work website he visited I immediately blocked in DNS :D When he STILL didn't get ANY work done (and the client for his project was freaking the F out over errors & deadlines), he was finally booted.

Lesson: keep your dumbass fetishes out of the workplace, and **** & GBTW.

16. vniow macrumors G4

Me too, thankfully its never gone quite that far... :eek:

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Amputees...by CHOICE??

This is unbelievable:

There's much more here, including the story of one guy who wants to be an amputee so badly that he went to the trouble of finding a surgeon in the Phillipines who would do the operation...for $10,000 a leg.

Man, you think you've seen the weirdest things possible, and then something new comes along. :eek:

18. iGav macrumors G3

I've heard of this 'condition' before, castration is another biggie apparently. :eek:

19. calculus Guest

calculus

This is only an extreme form of cosmetic surgery. What's the difference between this and, for example, breast enhancement/reduction? It's just about where you draw the line.

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Just below the knee, evidentally...

21. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

This should be worth a honorable mentioning at Darwin Awards :D

I for one think that everyone should be allowed to get castrated, as long as he doesn't reproduce afterwards to spread his stupidity :D :eek:

22. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

There was a thing about this in the uk sometime ago although i believe that it was referred to then as body dysmorphic disorder. In the program some patients were able to convince a surgeon to remove a leg/arm, the arguement beign that if it was done properly it might be done by a more unsafe method - for example one person talked of putting a leg under a train. Sounds like a psych disorder to me but then the medical world treated homosexuality the same way until relatively recently!

Parallels can be drawn with people like michael jackson who repeatedly have plastic surgery and are never happy with the results.

23. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Yea I saw something about this on dateline this week. I think it was dateline or something similar. It was pretty sick. Thinking of using dry ice to freeze off an appendage doesn't sound pleasant.

Nuc

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Madness. I'm pretty careful with my body. I don't like things to go and never come back, like if I somehow lost a tooth or a bit of a finger.

I know there is some kind of Symmetrical disorder too. At least Casualty told me so. Where if somebody has broken an arm and it has to be put into a cast and sling, they will try and break the other arm so they're balanced.
    God help them if they lose an eye or lung! Or a testicle :eek:

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

To a degree yes, but i guess the general public draws the line before its ok for you to get rid of your limbs