Independant filmmaker uses iMovie to create his feature-leng...

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 20, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors member

Jan 1, 2004
    Missouri, USA
    Take that, Blair Witch Project!!

Even if the movie is a dud (which judging from the big names hawking the thing in the article, it isn't), the fact that the guy spent less than 300 bucks and used consumer video editing to make a Sundance Festival-quality film is astounding.

In just a cost comparison alone, this fellow makes Robert Rodriguez and Kevin Smith look like James Cameron and Cecile B. DeMille. Welcome to the future of independent cinema, courtesy of a troubled childhood and an iMac...
  3. macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    I was about to say NO FRICKIN WAY, but i haven't seen the movie. As a iMovie user, i know first hand that it's sllooooooow and crashes alot. And i'm only doing 30 min movies. I cant see someone doing a feature length film with this program. But hey if he did, I tip my hat to him.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2003
    Yea, when I read this on Wired this morning I knew I had to submit it. I can't believe he made an entire feature with iMovie... and for only $300! And it's getting big-name support. Quite a feat this guy pulled off, I'd say...
  5. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002

Congrats to the guy--submitting to Sundance is one thing... getting accepted is another! Macintosh has indeed done for video what it did for publishing.

iMovie's a great app--and I haven't even used iMovie 3 much less 4. I'm jealous of friends with a DV cam... but I just can't justify one right now.
  6. macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Even if Sundance doesn't take it I'm sure some of the Nodance type film festivals will take it and or IFC.
  7. macrumors regular

Feb 1, 2003
    Wow, that is amazing, A full length movie, I wonder how much HD space it ate up...
  8. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    The article says that Sundance DID accept it. A great achievement for one little Mac.
  9. macrumors demi-god

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Lord I can't even imagine cutting a feature length film in iMovie. The mere thought makes my brain cramp. Yeah this is gonna be good press for Apple, but don't forget to give the props to the one who deserves them. Picaso wasn't great because of the paint brush he used.