Independence Air?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lyle, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Has anyone flown Independence Air yet? What did you think of it, as compared to some of the bigger name airlines?

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I know they are in financial difficulty, and I believe they are a new name for what was Atlantic Coast Airlines, a United Feeder.

I have not flown them, but heard they have good prices.

3. galbis macrumors newbie

Yes, I have flown with them before. I took one of their flights from NYC to Washington DC, extremely impressed and pleased with their service. The service from the company, plane, design, etc, everything was really nice. I was also impressed that the uniform of the flight attendant was like this slick retro style outfit. Black knee-high boots, matching uniform in blue, leather seats all around.

Also fast service and cheap!! I definitely recommend flying with them, I'm going back to NYC this Sunday with Independence :)

In regards to comparison to other airlines, I've flown with Delta, United, American, Southwest, and others. I was really impressed with Independence, it was like a breath of fresh air. Delta and American's planes (at least the ones I've flown from LaGuardia and JFK) are kind of old, not as sleek furnishing, and the service isn't as great. I know that in-flight snacks on Independence they gave you an option of three things, multi-flavored cookies, chips, pretzels, and something else. Also, any drink you want, complimentary of course :). The other guys just give you one option and any drink you want, thats a small difference, but its still a difference. Also, the flight attendant on my last flight with IndieAir was extremely awesome. Like it was the first flight attendant I've seen that had a sense of humor, joked with the cabin, etc...made me feel really comfortable.

Again, I highly recommend them. They're site needs a little more work tech-wise compared to the bigger guys, but I e-mailed tech support because of a problem I had and they fixed it within a day.

GL flying mate!

4. lordmac macrumors regular

there great

I have flow them and found them to be great. The employee's were helpful and nice. The planes were brand new, and very nice. Of course when I flew them it was there second day of operation ever so everything was new and the employee's were still excited about having a new job I am assuming.
    Also there were once called Atlantic Coast Airlines but they were in a different market then. Back when they were Atlantic Coast Airlines they would charter out airplanes to big companies. But when the became independence air because they were changing to a consumer airline so they re did their image and got all new stuff. :)
    Also one cool thing is there safety recording at the beginning of the flight is always done by celebrities of different sorts. :)

5. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

They are not the best.....

I flew 3 times with them, and the first time was great. However the last two times were not fun. I flew into cleveland and I have to tell you I've never been more pissed off in my life. The Wash. terminal was total chaos. The people didn't know how to use the computers. After my last experience with them I said screw this and I flew with delta. My company was paying for it anyways..... However if you have the time and patience it's not a bad deal. Take flights before noon!!!

Nuc

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

ACA as pointed out did the commuter service for United. That contact fell through and they started Flyi. Most of their flights are on CRJs. But that brings a personal level of service that you generally don't see on 737s, DC9s, or 318s. Also they have the promise of not overbooking.

As ACA they were one of the more profitable airlines. When they became Flti they were or decided to serve smaller markets with frequency. This is not a real profitable formula. For any airline. They are trimming back on the number of cities they serve. At the same point adding flights to hot cities, they just added flights to Las Vegas on the same day as their service cuts.

Flew them twice so far. Their seats may not be first class, but their service is.

Being smaller, they care more IMO. Their staff seems to be empowered to make you happy. Unlike the majors that seem only to be looking at the bottom line at this point. Macdawg has made some comments on this in another thread here.

7. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Is there an airline that isn't in financial difficulty? ;)

8. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Thanks for the replies so far. We (my wife and I) have flown either Southwest or U.S. Air for the last five years and have always had good luck with both, knock wood. But it's always good to have other options in mind, and I've been hearing a lot lately about Independence thanks to their low fares.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This is as much a question as a comment, but I have heard interesting, if not good things about JetBlue and Ted Airlines, which sadly don't really service my Coast. Still, I heard they are both cheap and that Ted in particular has a great in-flight bar (which makes flying a little better)

Confirmation? Repudations?

Hadn't heard about Independence Air...but I doubt it comes out West either.

10. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yeah, I'd heard of JetBlue but they don't fly out of any airports near me. Had not even heard of Ted Airlines, but they don't fly around these parts either. The only reason I knew about Independence Air is that they did heavy advertising in the local paper when they started flying out of Huntsville International Airport (my local airport). I had planned to try them out last October for flying to a conference near Washington, but that trip got cancelled.