Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhizZalot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Ok I only have a little experience with c+ programing and linux bash scripting.

I wanted to know what is the best way to go about writting a script or program that will monitor a thrd party program to tell when it is connected to the database and when it disconnects from the database. Also to restart the software when it disconects.

Any help would be appreciated....

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Is Indesign crashing, thus disconnecting from the database? If so you could set up a crontab to run a small shell script to maybe to reopen Indesign if it isn't currently running.

Does the database software have some sort of administration module for monitoring and (possibly) automation?

Without more detail it is difficult to say "yes" or "no" to your query.

PhizZalot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Thank you so much... This is exactly what is hapening and no the 3rd party software does not have a monitoring or automation utility built in.

I never thought of writting a script to restart the program if it is not curently running. I will look arond for simillar code to modify... but how will the script tell if it the program is not running if it has crashed? just seems a little tricky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.