InDesign CS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by colinet, Nov 13, 2004.

1. colinet macrumors 6502

I'm struggling to learn InDesign CS and am creating a layout for my publisher of a children's picture book. I have used a file from anothe rpublisher as my template which involved re-sizing the page size - no problem.
    When I delete the original graphic and replace it with my new pictures, the page symbols in the page palette change from little white icons to icons with a checkered background. The document loads up OK, but what does this mean? Will it mean a problem for my publisher?

2. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Are the images that you are importing photoshop edited? possibly with transparencies?

If so, that is why you are seeing the grid in the icon. Nothing to worry about, your printer should not have an issue. Will you be creating and sending a press ready pdf?

3. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help. Yes they are Photoshop files.

I illustrated to book in Photoshop CS. Have a look if you like at low res versions of the originals at http://www.colinthompson.com/lthn.htm

I thought I'd give the published a DVD with the original indesign files on, the fonts I used, the original flattened illustrations (without text) asnd possibly PDF files as well.

4. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Looks good. I am also "designing" a children's book. I use quotes because the publisher has moved aside to allow the "artist" in, biggest mistake ever. The artist is a controlling freak and has destroyed all of the designs and prolonged the process because she thinks she understands design.... sigh, sorry to bother, the layouts look wonderful :)

I am submitting mine as a press ready pdf, per request of the printer, going to be printed in Singapore. Before you submit your project, be sure to verify that they can take a DVD.

5. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Haven't ever created a press ready PDF. Any tips? What settings should I use? I think this book may be printed in Singapore, I know some of my ealier ones were. I actually had a tour of one of the factories there a few years ago - incredible - massive place producing 2 million books a week, incredible machines and virtually no humans anywhere!!

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Min 3mm bleed, single pages not spreads, composite not separations, embed all fonts, resolution of greyscale/colour images no less than 300ppi (possibly up to 450ppi), bitmap (line) images at 1200-2400ppi... as little JPG compression as possible, registration & trim marks off-set by 6-9pts.

Potentially, some pitfalls esp. if spot colours and colour management are used. One suitable standard is PDF-X1a for CMYK work.

You may find these sites of some help.
    http://www.planetpdf.com/
    http://www.ppa.co.uk/pass4press/

Also, if possible flight-check it first.

Or if you've never done it before and it's a big job, send them the Indesign file, fonts & images... one disadvantage of making your own press PDFs is that it puts the onus on you to get it right.

7. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Great. Thanks a lot.

My image are all 300dpi - got 10mm bleed except on the cover which has 15mm to allow for wraparound (hardback cover) No spot colours (glad to see you spell colour correctly :) )

Thankd again.

8. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

You have some very good advice so far, but I would suggest contacting the printer to see if they have any specific requirements. 80% the PDFs I do go out on default prepress settings, but the rest are customised to the printer's requests.

9. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, I'm just going to give the publisher the InDesign files and let them fine tune the last bits such as adding the barcode etc.

Thank for all your advice, everyone. I imagine I'll be back!!

10. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I have quick question. This pertains to InDesign.

In QuarkXPress, under the paragraph attributes you can choose to add underline/Rules with specific lengths. Can I do this in InDesign? I couldn't find it.

~e