InDesign CS2: Using it as a word processor?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ppc_michael, Dec 18, 2006.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I've used InDesign to make my résumé and pamphlets and stuff, but one question still plagues me: can I use InDesign for more of a word processor kind of thing?

The main thing I need is a way for text to flow over multiple pages automatically, not confined to one text box.

I have to write a screenplay and the Paragraph Styles would be PERFECT for the strict formatting I have to follow, but the screenplay will probably be about 30 pages long, so text boxes are certainly a no-go.

Thanks!

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

InDesign isn't really meant for word processing, but you could create a new document with Master Text Frame checked so there will be a new text frame on every page. Obviously adding a text frame to your Master Page would be the same thing, if you already have an existing document. You should be able to set the frames up so that they flow into eachother.

3. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Why don't you use Pages? I used to use InDesign (CS1) for everything but I do most of it in Pages now. I use a lot of other Cocoa apps and I just find moving from one to another so much easier - they all work in a very similar way. I find InDesign slow and unwieldy. Too many things require a visit to a menu and then clicking through dialogues.

On a fast Mac, Pages is very slick and responsive. I can't wait to see v3 in January.

4. Twenty1 macrumors member

Depends on what type of document...

I think it really just depends on what type of document you want to create.

As for resume's, I would probably suggest Word. This is only because most employment web sites will only allow you to upload plain text or word documents. Some may accept PDF's, which you could make from InDesign. In the end, some HR person is going to receive your resume and they probably will have Word on their computer.

InDesign is still a professional app and it's overkill for most users. As mentioned by another poster, Pages is a easy solution for making brochures and a like.

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

InDesign is not a word processor. As for paragraph styles, Word and Pages both support them. Pages even has a screenplay template with the styles set up for you. If you want there is a screenplay writing program called CeltX that is pretty good and it is free.

6. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Perfect! Thanks, that's exactly what I need.

Pages sounds interesting, but I don't have it. :( And I really hate MSWord, and it hasn't nearly enough typographic settings for my anal-retentive needs. But thanks for the Pages suggestion. I think my friend has it, so I'll have to play around with it some time.