Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyuchi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
paris
hello folks,

Anybody know anything about using the japanese dots as a border in Indesign? They look fine on screen but when exported to PDF (tried different settings) they get funky - meaning the dots are not longer consistent, especially when applied the dots to a rounded corner frame.

Thanks for any feedback, as these dots have become a major element of my design!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Have you printed the PDF or are you just viewing it on screen?

When viewed on screen, many of those types of borders and rules display poorly but they should print fine.

If it still continues to give you probs, consider doing a border in Illustrator and dropping that in (if there are only one or two to do).

nyuchi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
paris
Blue Velvet said:
Have you printed the PDF or are you just viewing it on screen?

When viewed on screen, many of those types of borders and rules display poorly but they should print fine.

thanks blue velvet - Actually in the past I have printed another project that used this dot border, and when I applied the stroke to a line (not a box) I noticed that it would always loose the 2nd dot from the left, but the rest looked fine. I let this one slide as it was a non professional document.

This time I am working on a postcard to be printed professionally and though I don't have access to print at the moment, it seems to be a similiar behaviour to what I experienced before - meaning that what I see in the PDF is what prints.

Illustrator may be the way to go, but man what a headache. I wish I didn't start using these dots in the firstplace!

forgot to mention I am using CS1 on OSX 10.3.9

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
What happens if you pull that border onto a new document and export an EPS from it and then drop that EPS into the original artwork?

Same problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.