Indesign Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CrackedButter, May 1, 2005.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I need to run a test print to get the sense of scale.

My document in Indesign is 1260mm x 1188mm in size. I've got ruler guides sectioning the thing into A3 segments in order to set my work out properly.

My question is, how can I get indesign to print out the entire thing but of course, in A4 pieces. After which I can stick them together?

If it isn't possible, how can I hope to crop the piece into A3 pieces?

The test print is at home hence the A4 printer, it'll take 24 sheets in order to do this. Tomorrow, I will print it out on A3 at college taking 12 sheets.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In the 'Print' dialog, on the left hand-side is a bunch of options, including:
    General, Setup, Marks & Bleed, etc.

Choose Set-up. At the bottom is the 'Tile' option.
    With your paper-size already selected, play with the Tiling options and Overlap until you're happy then run it out.

In InDesign 3 (CS1) you get a little preview of how the sections will fit and overlap.

BTW: There's a new Graphics & Design forum here which may be of interest. Still early days...

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

At the moment I have resorted to importing the work into photoshop as a jpeg, cutting each piece out and then cropping them in order to print.

Okay, I will try this, looking at it now, it doesn't look easy to do, I thought this would be click and drag stuff, allowing for a bigger preview, not some pokey little box.

Thanks

4. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Right, using the math from the first post. It would take 24 A4 pages to print out my work. However, Indesign quotes this to be 54 A4, another 30 pages somehow!

Has it calculated the cropping or something?
    So when I come and cut the printed papers down to size and stick them together, I will still have the original dimensions of the work (1260x1188)?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Have you got A4 selected?

It also depends on the overlap. Remember that unless your A4 printer prints edge-to-edge you have to allow even more for the overlap. Best to set it to something like 12-15mm.

And yes, the final piece will be 100% of document size if you haven't resized it in the setup box.

What version of InDesign are you using?

6. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I have got A4 selected as far as I know.
    This printer won't do edge to edge either :(.

Which bit does the 12-15mm go in? I've never done something like this before so bare with me. I've always done a typical job with standard paper sizes. This is CS1.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Under Tiling: select Auto and next to it on the right is the Overlap field.

8. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Okay, now I understand, but why is is set so high 36mm?

Changing the settings makes the printout more resonable if still higher, but thats because I didn't take into account the paper edges. This however is better news because I don't have to mess around with resizing anything to avoid the crop marks. Cool, thanks for your help again BlueVelvet, I remember you helping me last time with the font issue I had.

9. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab