InDesign Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kgarner, Mar 29, 2005.

1. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I throw myself on the mercy of the InDesign gods. is it possible to link a Word Document so that when the Word file is updated it automatically updates the InDesign Document? I tried a few methods, but none of them actually link the file. They just seem to paste the text. Thanks.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I suspect you may need something like InCopy to dynamically update text.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/incopy/overview.html

You can download a 30-day trial from Adobe.

Here's some additional resources and info.
    http://www.senecadesign.com/designgeek/incopy.html

Personally, I hate changing copy too much once it's in. Spellcheck, sub and proof it first before you give it to me, thanks... I'd be crap on a paper or a news-based magazine. :)

Edit: After thinking it over further, there may be something you can do with Apple-scripting, but that's just a guess. I suggest you also post your query at PrePress forums.
    http://prepressforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Have you tried Preferences > Text > Create Links When Placing Text and Spreadsheet Files?

It seems that this would work, or at least is supposed to.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just had a play. Seems to work but there's a catch -- it loses all the formatting. :(

Easy to put right if you've got your style-sheets sorted but not if you're updating a large publication.

From the Indesign Help files:

Working with linked text files

When you place text, the name of the text file appears in the Links palette if the Create Links When Placing Text and Spreadsheet Files preferences option is selected. You can use the Links palette to update and manage the file. When you update a linked text file, any editing or formatting changes applied within InDesign are lost. Because of this risk, linked text files are not automatically updated when the original file is edited. However, you can easily update the linked file using the Links palette.

For more information on working with the Links palette, see Managing links and embedded graphics. For information on importing text, see Importing styles from a Microsoft Word document.

To determine whether placed text files are linked or embedded:
    Choose Edit > Preferences > Text (Windows) or InDesign > Preferences > Text (Mac OS).
    To create links in placed files, select Create Links When Placing Text and Spreadsheet Files. If this option is turned on, use the Links palette to update, relink, or remove links. If this option is turned off, text files are embedded.

To edit a linked text file in its original application:
    If necessary, choose Window > Links to open the Links palette.
    In the Links palette, select the text file you want to edit, and then choose Edit Original in the Links palette menu.

To update a linked text file:
    If necessary, choose Window > Links to open the Links palette.
    In the Links palette, select the text file you want to update. If the original has been edited since the file was placed in InDesign, the Linked File Modified icon* appears to the right of the filename.
    In the Links palette menu, choose Update Link.
    If you have applied any additional formatting to the file in InDesign, an alert message notifies you that all new formatting will be lost. Click OK if you want to update the file anyway.

To remove the link to a text file:
    In the Links palette, select the text file.
    Choose Unlink in the Links palette menu.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, that is a bummer. I know you can have it keep the doc formatting on first import, for what it's worth, but I guess that doesn't keep when updating - too bad.

6. kgarner thread starter macrumors 68000

kgarner

Thanks! that worked great. Since all my document will follow the same formatting guidelines I was able to create a template in Word that translates perfectly to InDesign. Not very useful for differently formatted documents, but works great for my setup. Thanks again.