Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eckslusive

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
I dont think you can.
Unless you go into photoshop and change the mode to RBG or whatever that is color...and then start adding colors yourself...
but other that that..you cant go from Grayscale-->Color...
but it is possible for Color-->Gray

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
this has been answered by me in a different forum, but here goes:

Place GRAYSCALE Tif file. With the direct selection tool (white arrow, not the black arrow) select the tif. Apply a spot color from your swatch palette, or a CMYK mix from the color palette. That's it.

The difference between the two selection arrows is: black arrow select the frame, or box that contains graphics or text. the white arrow selects the contents of the frame or the actual nodes of a placed or drawn vector graphic.

If you select the grayscale image with the black arrow and then color it, you have essentially color the background or stroke of the box, but the image remains unchanged. With the white arrow you can color the image itself and it's background.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
Yes, thanks I've got it and the problem was that I was selecting the box with the closed selection tool then clicking the open selection tool and finding that it didn't work. The reason is that you need to re-click on the image with that tool - I didn't try this because in Quark when you click on a new tool, that tool then applies to the selected picture box. Since I've been using Quark for almost ten years now, it wasn't obvious to me that I needed to re-click the picture box...

Thanks. No need for any more help for now.

Chuck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.