Indexer?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mala, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

My 15" G4 PowerBook won't search adequately for files - that is to say that when I've set Find to find anything (I'm using Panther, btw), I invariably give up and either find it myself or give up on it. Where is the invoice for last month's work? It is with Allah.

Is there any good indexing software available?

A friend has the same problem; she said that she set her identical PowerBook to index, and when she came down the next morning and checked, it was telling her that it would take four more days!

2. dross macrumors regular

dross

It sounds like Tiger is going to be great for this type of searching. If you have not already watched Job's keynote you should. This will not solve you problem today though.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's actually not that out there. It's definitely obnoxious how slow it is, but there are a LOT of files in the UNIX OS of Mac OS X. So, sorting through all those can take a lot of time. You're better off indexing a piece at a time. Start, say, at your ~/Documents directory.

4. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Go to home directory, click to hilight your Documents directory, perform a Get Info (command I), click the "Content index:" twisty, click the "Index Now" button.

6. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    you can always use the old *nix index of your hard drive with the command 'locate'. never tried it through Finder like that. open up Terminal and type 'locate whateveryourelookingfor'. if you want to update the index type 'sudo updatedb' and enter in your admin password (regular password if you only have one user). it should only take a few minutes to update and it'll be up to date with all the files on your machine.