Indexing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Platform, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

In Tiger Spotlight indexes files for the light fast searching, but

1. How long does the indexing take per GB ?

2. Is there anywhere to see how far the indexing progress is ?

3. When you add files it automatically indexes it..or ? if so does that take long ?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

When you first install Tiger it will index everything, and spotlight won't be available while it's doing this. How long it takes per GB I don't know exactly. It took about 30-40 minutes to index about 100GB on my iMac. Once the first indexing is complete it is then updated on the fly, you will never notice it doing it again. Very cool stuff indeed :cool:

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I assume that this is your retail box of Tiger that was "delivered" early or perhaps your developers' preview copy? :)

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, yes of course...

:eek:

5. Platform thread starter macrumors 68030

Platform

Thanks

Well then it is as good as I thought :rolleyes:

Nice to hear you have got Tiger early :p

But is there a way to see how far it is in progress :confused:

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

That's pretty quick e. I've heard reports of it taking hours. At least it's a whole lot quicker than trying to index your HD now - I remember it required an overnight session to index the 40GB HD on my PB :eek:

7. Platform thread starter macrumors 68030

Platform

But can it be that it takes advantage of the G5 :eek:

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

That's what I was fearing too...at least my iMac will be OK.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, when it's first indexing and you click on the spotlight icon, you will see a progress bar and an ETA for completion of the initial index.

10. Platform thread starter macrumors 68030

Platform

Oh OK thanks ;)

11. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

R U SERIOUS!!!! IS MY 1.33 ghz 12" pb going to run tiger slow!!!!!!!!!!! if so that is unacceptable, apple can't expect me to buy a new computer to use Tiger

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Don't have a panic attack just yet! Your computer will run Tiger fine, there really is no need to worry. :)

13. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Well from your sig you seem to be in ample supply of computers. Just go buy another one then money bags Mc. Goo if you're worried a little breeze outside will slow your computer up too. Better yet, put a wind shield around it! Those are hot!

14. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I would have to depend on the object. A 1 GB Quicktime file will just have it's metadata indexed and that probably would take less than a second. But if you had 1 GB of Word documents then it would take a long time. I wonder if 1 GB of PDF files will scan faster than 1 GB of Word Docs just because PDF is native in the OS.

On a side topic, I used the Desktop Google search tool to index about 30 GBs of files on my PC and it took about 4 hours or so. The bad part was that it didn't update the links when files were removed. It seems to be a worthless tool as time goes on. I prefer Spotlight's approach but I hope I am not disappoined in it also.

15. Platform thread starter macrumors 68030

Platform

Noooo........just saying that heavy tasks run faster on a G5..such as Indexing ;)

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Text Search in Spotlight

I have an Spotlight question. If you have unsupported files such as *.php, *.lis, *.c, *.4gl, *.sql and they are really just standard Text files then can you still use Spotlight to search the contents?

I know there is a API to extend Spotlight in your application but I use "vi" to view these files. I just want to tell Spotlight that the following types are text files. I heard about Spotlight plug-ins so I assume there is a way to tell the Spotlight Text plug-in the list of filetypes I want to include.

17. Platform thread starter macrumors 68030

Platform

Thanks

You are right, I did not think of that :eek:

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...I'm wondering if the slow hard drives on a lot of our laptops are going to hurt us more than the lack of a G5. I wanted to do a pre/post XBench on my iBook, just for fun... It held up pretty well to the benchmark computer, except for disk performance! But I'm sure I'm the last one to realize just how severe the difference is.... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]