Indiana State Senator wants to put Fred Phelps in jail! :D

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chacala_Nayarit, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051024/NEWS01/510240449/1006

Oklahoma is considering a similar measure.

This is going to lead to a lot of strange political bedfellows. Gay rights advocates will join with pro-miliary conservatives, and be opposed by civil libertarians supporting Fred Phelps' free speech and religious rights. Hmmmm...

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd rather see a bunch of gay people take turns throwing rocks at fred until he's dead, but jail works too

3. Chacala_Nayarit thread starter macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Amen! :D

I think it would be funny if at one of those military funerals, if a bunch of bad-ass soldiers beat the crap out of those fundies. :D

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In the 1960s, there wouldn't have been any question. Anyone dragging or otherwise mistreating the U.S. flag would be put in jail.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

True.

This really goes against my beliefs.
    I strongly support anyone's right to do whatever they please with the flag, drag it, burn it, wipe your ass with it, whatever. But if it can get a dick like Fred Phelps thrown in jail, then I'm all for it :D

6. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Fred Phelps can take his hate and stick it up his. Anyway. Even though I'm a proponent of free speech, I'd LOVE to see Fred Phelps in jail. Asshat.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As much as I HATE Fred Phelps, he has the right to free speech. Trust me, I'd love to strangle him with my bare hands, but I have to stand on th side of free speech here. Let him make an ass of himself.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I agree.

9. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Voltaire comes to mind when I see some of the replies here :rolleyes:

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know what? The proposed law just says someone can't protest near or during a funeral. I'm not sure that's such an unreasonable thing to ask.

I do have to admit the idea of Phelps in jail has some appeal...especially if he, uh, "drops the soap".

Good morning, Mr. Phelps. :D

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Needs to be near and during to pass muster. Then it'd be no different, precedent-wise, than setting up "free speech zones" for the conventions.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I realize that, but the president is a public figure at public events. Funerals are considered private. To me this is more akin to harassment and invasion of privacy.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just hire the Hells Angels to provide security for your funeral. I hear they did a bang up job at a Stones show back in the day. ;)

Lethal

14. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

You clearly have not seen this picture. If he drops the soap, I wouldn't be too worried.

[​IMG]

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm all for free speech, but you also have a responsibility, not just a right. You don't go yelling fire in a crowded theater and you don't get to harass people. If people want to peaceably assemble to protest something, that's fine. If you want to go yelling obscenities at mourners at a funeral, that's not so good. That would go for either side.

I'm against the war in Iraq, but if Cindy Sheehan started pulling this type of thing, I wouldn't support her.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wouldn't support her either, but it shouldn't mean she doesn't have a right to do it if she wants. Same with Phelps. Muzzling him only makes a martyr out of him.

This isn't the way to get him.
    I'm not willing to give up my free speech rights over an asshat like Phelps. Even if it got him sodomized every night for years in prison it wouldn't be worth it.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We're in total agreement.

18. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

What happened to my picture?

19. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I was in Iraq and saw people getting killed. Saw some things that I never want to see again in my life. Fred Phelps can go to hell for protesting the soldiers that have died. Fred Phelps can go to hell as well for judging gay people. Disgusting.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Shame that Freddy has lost his mind. There are times and places for free speech. As much as I disliked Ronald Reagan, I would never think of trying to disrupt his funeral.