Indiana Time Zone Fiasco

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/19/indiana.timezone.ap/index.html

I'm still trying to dig up a map of the counties and the time zone areas - but this is a little messed up and its caused all sorts of debate.....

It will be nice to have daylight savings time, though, in my county. Having the sun rise at 4:30 in the summer isn't fun - and we'll get longer daylight in the evening :D

D

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a map of all the counties. your kind of centrally located no? you may end up with central time.

edit: nevermind. i think you'll end up eastern, as thats what you're on now correct? looking at a map looks like you're too far east to go central.

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I had no idea that the DOT would need to get involved in time-zone issues, but when I think about it, it makes sense.

I kinda just wish that we'd move everything a half-hour in one direction or the other and leave it alone thereafter.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Typically, counties close to Illinois will change.

When I lived in Indiana in the mid-1960s, we did the time change but that stopped quickly, so that eastern Indiana did something different than everyone else. (Typical!) Now, it's like Ohio in the Winter and Illinois during the summer.

5. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

The dumb thing is that the time zone line has to go somewhere. And no matter where you put it, it is going to inconvinence someone. I currently bounce between Valparaiso (always on Chicago time) and Rochester (currently half the year with New York and half the year with Chicago). With this plan, now they will never be on the same time.

The advantage is I (a night owl in Rochester) can call the Girlfriend (Morning person in Valpo) and not worry about being too late. The down side is it is amazing how jet lagged shifting one hour over the weekend can leave you!

6. cubist macrumors 68020

Daylight Savings Time is so stupid

It saves nothing and has huge costs. Of course now that Indiana has changed to it, we'll probably be the last ones to get rid of it when that trend gets started. :/

see http://www.standardtime.com

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's all because of train schedules getting messed up.