'indirect' links on the homepage.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by TMA, Jan 17, 2006.

1. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Have there been any changes recently to how links posted in stories on the homepage function?

I'm sure I used to be able to right click a link, choose to open in a new tab and then the relevant page would load in the background tab. Now when I try to do it the page loaded in the background tab is just macrumors home page.

My preferred method of browsing is to load up all the links I'm interested in background tabs whilst I continue to read the main story. Then when I'm done i'll check out the tabs one by one.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Its works properly for me.

What is a specific link a specific story for which this happens to you? Even if it happens to all of them, let's confirm one of them.

3. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

Some examples of links from the homepage as it stands at the moment:

Sony BMG Artists Now Available on iTMS Australia
    'The Latest and Greatest'

First Impressions of Intel iMac Core Duo [updated]
    'Macintouch posted...'
    '...making the rounds...'
    '...another user...'
    '...a casual attempt...'
    'Arstechnica posts...'
    '...Benchmarks'

Looks like it's any link that goes off-site. They're all loading up as www.macrumors.com in background tabs, but work fine if you just standard click them. There are examples in every story on the front page at the moment. I can't remember a precise moment I started noticing this, but I'm sure it's not been like this for long.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's a link to the iTunes Music Store so not a good test.

Sorry, I can't reproduce this. They all go to the right URLs for me.

If you are using Safari, the behavior of Open Link in New Tab (or the equivalent command-click) depends on Safari -> Preferences -> Tabs. Perhaps you simply need to uncheck the "Select new tabs as they are created" setting because you used to have it unchecked and now it is checked again.

Whichever way you have it set, you can use shift-command-click instead of command-click to have it the other way, i.e., open it with or without making the new tab active.

We could use somebody else to try it too.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I have the same issue. If I go to the second article on the main page, right click on "Macintouch posted," and select "Open link in new tab," the new tab opens behind the main page, but opens to the MacRumors main page, not macintouch.com

6. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

Shift+Command+Click works, but weather I have 'Select new tabs as they are created' checked or unchecked, loading the link in a new tabs always goes back to macrumors.

I'm pretty sure my tab settings are correct, I've always had them set like this:

Attached Files:

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

try refreshing a page that loads incorrectly?
    also try emptying out our cache maybe?

not sure if these will help get to the root of the problem, but they might.

8. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

I've tried a few more things at my end (sorry, should really have done all this first)

Emptied Cache
    Reset Safari
    Repaired Permissions
    Restarted Mac

But still the problem is there. To make my last post a bit clearer: Right clicking or control clicking and selecting "Open Link in new tab" is going straight back to macrumors.com. Command+Shift single clicking opens the link in a new tab and goes to the correct page. I've tried alternating the option to open in background in Safari preferences.

I've also tried Firefox, and this doesn't have the same problem. So it's a strong indication its a Safari bug. I'm using Version 2.0.3 (417.8) and have recently upgraded to 10.4.4.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When it works improperly (going to www.macrumors.com), is www.macrumors.com in the URL field on the new (initially inactive) tab? I'm assuming so. If not, meaning the URL shows as the correct page but goes to the wrong page, that's even crazier.

If you control-click -> Copy Link and paste what you get, is it www.macrumors.com or the Macintouch address?

10. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

When it works improperly (right/control click): http://www.macrumors.com/
    command+shift+click gives: http://www.macintouch.com/

The link is displayed as http://www.macrumors.com/c.php?u=http://www.macintouch.com/ in the status bar when hovering over it.

It's happening with any link that starts with http://www.macrumors.com/c.php?u Right clicking on this link and opening in new tab goes to http://www.macrumors.com however normal clicking or command+shift clicking on this goes to a Safari error saying Safari cannot open this page as it contains "" null. This is what I would expect, so why isn't it doing this with new tabs?

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

this is due to a change I made in the link code. let me look into it.

arn

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Still problematic here. If I right-click and Open Link in New Tab, it goes to the MR home page. If I middle-click the link, it opens correctly :confused:

I also discovered that links in Safari's History menu all seem to go to the home page now too.

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Before you tear too much hair out :) wait and see whether anyone else is still having problems - I've been having some caching issues recently (in general, not just with MR). I should've mentioned that before, actually :rolleyes:

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

All off-site links on the MR front page works fine using Firefox 1.5, when I cmd-click them to open in a new tab (in the background) or ctrl-click and open them in a new tab that way... :confused:

Edit: Cmd-clicking also works in Safari 2.0.3... and Shiira 1.2. New tabs open with the other sites. Noticed that Shiira initially loads macrumors, but redirects after a fraction of a second...

Running 10.4.4...

17. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

Still having the problems here.

It's really strange!

18. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

nah, I know why... it's just a matter of fixing it the best way.

arn

19. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

It works properly on Windows XP with Firefox 1.0.7.

20. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

If I can help by testing anything then just let me know.

I'm a bit curious why it's doing it just when right clicking and not when command clicking. Also wondering why it's not effecting other users? Any chance you could possibly explain the bug in layman's terms to help settle my now almost insane curiosity?

Cheers,

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When you click the first link on the Homepage now, the one that says "TimesOnline reports" where does it take you?

I'm just asking because I thought I was having the same problem as you until I realized that's where the link was supposed to take me (to a previous thread in MacRumors that looked just like the Homepage).

But the TimesOnline link should take you to a different site.

22. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The same issue is still affecting me. Right clicking on the TimesOnline link in the lead article and selecting "Open link in new tab" takes me to the main MacRumors home page in a background tab.

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Oh, well, it's affecting me also. I didn't realize because I always Command Click to open a link in another tab (which works fine btw).