Indonesian Court Finds Australian Guilty in Drug Case

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, May 27, 2005.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Indonesian Court Finds Australian Guilty in Drug Case
    BY CHRIS BRUMMITT, AP

BALI, Indonesia (May 27) -- An Australian woman was convicted and sentenced to 20 years in prison Friday for smuggling nine pounds of marijuana onto Indonesia's Bali island, prompting her mother to shout ''Liar!'' at the judge and her nation's prime minister to express sympathy.

Schapelle Corby, 27, wept as the verdict was announced in a case. She could have faced the death penalty, but prosecutors requested a life sentence.

Corby's mother, Rosleigh Rose, yelled out, ''Liar! Liar!'' and had to be restrained in the front row of the courtroom gallery. Other relatives shouted, ''We are going to get you home! We love you!''

Corby turned to her tearful parents and mouthed, ''Just relax. It's OK.''

Corby's case was closely watched in Australia, where actor Russell Crowe said last month that photographs of the beauty school student during her trial ''broke my heart.''

Australia had pressed Jakarta to avoid a death penalty and allow her to serve any prison sentence back home.

After the verdict was announced, the Australian government offered to send two senior lawyers to help Corby's appeal and said it would begin negotiating with Jakarta on a prisoner transfer pact.

''Guilty or innocent, I feel for this young woman,'' Prime Minister John Howard said. ''I ask that we all pause and understand the situation and recognize and respect that when we visit other countries we are subject to the laws and rules of those countries.''

Corby was arrested in October after airport authorities found the marijuana in her surfboard bag as she arrived on Bali for a family holiday.

Corby's lawyers alleged the drugs were planted by airport baggage handlers in Australia as part of a drug-smuggling operation and that they ended up in Bali by mistake.
    Shock Over the Verdict

But judges at the Denpasar District Court said the defense produced no convincing evidence to support that claim.

Judge Wayan Suastrawan noted that customs officers testified that Corby looked ''nervous'' and ''tried not to open the bag'' when asked to by customs officials, adding: ''Judges are of the opinion that the accused imported marijuana. She was arrested red-handed at the airport.''

Before the hearing, Corby's lawyers said she was ''terrified.''

''She's probably the worst I've ever seen her,'' lawyer Robin Tampoe told Australian television's Nine Network. ''She tries to put on a brave face but there was a lot of crying.''

After the judges issued the sentence, Corby was allowed to hug her weeping parents before being led away to jail by about 20 police officers.

Outside the courtroom, Corby's sister, Mercedes, said the family would appeal the verdict.

''This is not fair,'' she yelled. ''We will get Schapelle home.''

Corby could have faced a maximum penalty of death under Indonesia's tough anti-drug laws, which do not distinguish between marijuana and harder drugs like heroin or cocaine. It was unclear if prosecutors, who had requested a life sentence for Corby, also were planning to appeal the verdict as permitted under Indonesian law.

Corby drew little sympathy or media attention in Indonesia, where the government is under pressure to crack down on rampant illegal drug use that kills scores of young, mostly poor people each year.

Indonesia, which like Australia, imprisons scores of foreigners for drug smuggling each year, says it sees no need to grant Corby any special exemptions. Her plight could complicate improving relations between the two neighboring countries in the fight against terrorism and in the aftermath of the Asian tsunami in December.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nine pounds seems like a lot couldnt she have just been happy with a Dubie :cool:

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't think that what she did in any way deserves death penalty.

Since she was acting nervous during the customs check would kind of indicate the possibility of guilt. Its possible that she was framed, but why act nervous when they wanted to check the bag.

Hopefully the two governments can come to an agreement so that she can serve her term in Australia. It would just be better for her to be in her home country. :(

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Why do people do this when going to a foreign country. Midnight Express should be required viewing in school.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You have to know the customs and rules before going to any foreign country. I am a big world traveller, and have backpacked through countless countries, and always research where I'm going to, just to be sure. As well, whenever I travel I always lock every single compartment of my pack - not so much for people getting in and stealing my stuff, but for people getting in and planting things like drugs - and now you see why.

I feel sorry for her, as 20 years is a good chunk of her life, but the law is the law. And frankly, I'm all for tough laws like this, the same should go for weapons and drugs here in N. America. Or maybe that's just the Draconian side of me talking.... ;)

6. volfreak macrumors member

20 years for pot/2.5 years for killing 200+

Let's see, a bit o' weed is life (reduced to 20 years) but blow up a disco with 200+ and you only get 2+ years. Maybe if it wasn't a disco the term would have been longer. :rolleyes:

C'mon, when are we going to get rid of stupid laws regarding a natural substance that causes fewer problems than alcohol and tobacco?

:D

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Why are laws against narcotics themselves stupid? I realize that narcotics are drugs - just as nicotine is a drug, just as alcohol is a drug, just as caffeine is a drug - and that narcotics fall under heavier laws, and perhaps there are some issues with this, but are you saying they shouldn't fall under any laws at all? All drugs are harmful to humans, the negatives far outweigh the benefits, and as a result, there is no situation in which drugs are anything but destructive. And yes, the same can be said for nicotine, alcohol, etc. - all do some damage to the body - hell, breathing the air does damage to the body - but still, the point remains there is no good reason to take narcotics. I think nicotine should be declared illegal as well - what benefit does it have? None. It just destroys lives. Just like narcotics. (And classifying "pain relief" or "feeling groovy" as benefits don't count when you're damaging and rewiring your brain among other things... ;))

Alright, I'm done for now... :cool:

8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i smoke weed, i feel terrible for her, nobody deserves to be jailed for using pot.

but nine pounds? what the **** is wrong with her? she honestly deserves whatever their punishment is in that country...nine pounds is not for recreational use no matter how much you smoke daily.

you have two options:

1. drugs aren't illegal

2. drugs are illegal

there is no gray line of "well she's a foreigner and it was only nine pounds so i mean...c'mon..." we all know pot is harmless but i still can't imagine what this chick was thinking, i don't think i could smoke 9 pounds if you gave me the rest of my life (unless i was smoking with my friends o_O, but she was on a family vacation).

poor girl, 27 and still so stupid and with a promising career as a beauty model gone.

9. inlimbo macrumors 6502

wow I didn't realise this was making the news in other countries. Its massive news over here in Australia (Corby is an Aussie). I watched the trial yesterday. THe poor girl has had so many rumors reported about her:
    1) she was pregnant.. FALSE
    2) Her father owned a shop in Bali (and maybe it was a front for drug smuggling) FALSE
    3) They made a huge deal how she was married to a Japanese guy for a year or so.

There are more I just cant remember them all. They say fleet street is bad. Come to Australia.

For those who didn't know there are another 9 Aussies in Bali caught with smuggling drugs. They have been the Bali 9. They were just drug mules. They had heroin taped to their legs and stomachs. They will definately get the death penalty. One is only 18 years old!

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

poor guys, but they knew the stakes.
    how much can you make as a drug mule? it can't be worth the risk. i can't understand this guys......

11. inlimbo macrumors 6502

$10,000AUD was what they said. I would want a lot more than that to risk my life.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Can you even put a price on what your life is worth? I know I can't. :cool:

13. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

but for 5 easy payments of 19.95 a month! :eek:

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, I know it's tempting, but.... ;)

15. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I feel so bad for this girl. MJ sjhould be legal. it does not harm anyone. and while what she did was illegalm, 20 years seems like a lot.
    andreas

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Why should a narcotic be legal? Pot alters your brain, just as cocaine or heroin - should these be legalized as well? Just because the affects are not as pronounced, or because it is a more "common" narcotic does that make it alright?

I realize that alcohol adversely affects you, as does nicotine, caffeine, etc., and these substances are not illegal (whether they should be or not I suppose is another matter), but saying that pot does not harm anyone is only correct if supplemented with the phrase "except the user". ALL drugs have adverse affects on the user in one form or another, and anyone thinking otherwise is simply foolish.

That being said, 20 years is a long time, but the law is the law. Nothing much more can be said. If nothing else, she should feel lucky she didn't receive the death penalty. I would feel more sorry for her if it was simply a joint, but 9 pounds? Come on, smarten up....

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Legal or not, people shouldn't be moving pounds of the stuff across borders in their suitcases.... :( I don't think it'd be legal for you to move 9 pounds of *Prozac* across international borders, even if you were prescribed. That kind of quantity has no relationship with personal usage.

If there is real evidence of her luggage being "used" by smugglers, I guess they need to bring that forward. Out of curiosity, do airports record the X-ray machine visualizations to videotape or digitally? They ought to.... If such a thing is available, it should support her contention (if it's true), since presumably any insider would put the stuff in the case after it was inspected.

18. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe we should send Michael Jackson over there if they give you 20 to death for pot imagine what they would do to a child molester. :rolleyes:

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I'm here in Bangkok now and I can't even think about doing what she did. If she is guilty then she is somewhat dumb. If she is not guilty then that is terribnle and I hope they get here out and come to an agreement. Although a little marijuana would make this time in Bangkok, Phuket and Ko Samui somewhat more fun at times, it simply isn't worth it. A little common sense goes a long ways when traveling abroad.

jon