Indonesia's future...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Sep 20, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I decided to start this thread in part because I find the topic interesting and potentially relevant to the US and the West. I also started it as per Takao's reasonable request for topics not involving the US Presidential Election/Domestic issues...

So, my topic is the Election in Indonesia and the likely victory of an ex-general over Mrs. Megawati.

This is the fourth President in six years and the US has looked to Indonesia recently as an example of Democracy and Islam peacefully co-existing as well as Paul Wolfowitz's involvement with Indonesia in the 80's.

There are some who suggest that Indonesia will become a military dictatorship once again, possibly marketed as a way to combat "islamic radicals"...

As Indonesia is one of the most populous Muslim countries, I feel it's future will have lasting repercussions regarding the WOT and power structures in the east...

This is actually my poorest-written thread in a while, but I am basically asking for opinions on the future of Indonesia and it's relevance to a variety of important issues, here in the US and abroad...

this will teach me to type and eat dinner at the same time...

here is NYT link to Election story:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/21/international/asia/21indo.html?hp

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

4th president in the last 6 years ? wow thats a lot...what happend to them ? (for the uninformed ones)

i think indonesia has some troube ahead because of 'the war of terror' but i'm not really good informed about south-east asian politics..