Inept Mac user attempting to connect to WAP

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by franklel, Jul 1, 2003.

1. franklel macrumors newbie

I'm a PC user converting to Mac. I opened my new powerbook last night and attempted to connect to my existing linksys wireless router.

I successfully went through the setup and connected to the router. I can see all the specs of the router on my Mac utilities but cannot connect to the internet.

I'd try contacting linksys but their customer service reps are probably more inept than I. Please help!! I'm at wits end.

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-franklel

This'd probably hit the right audience in the Help/Tips discussion, but I'll give it a go.

If you can access the router from the Mac, the disconnect is probably between the router and the internet. If you have another computer on your LAN/WLAN you can confirm this theory by attempting to network to it.

Be sure your router is set up to be a DHCP server so that it doles your Mac an IP address.

Also check the status tab in the configuration of your router to see if it itself is grabbing a DHCP doled IP address from your ISP.

Are you using Cable modem or DSL?

I ask this as Cable modem is a direct DHCP TCP/IP connection to the upstream server, wherease DSL requires you to configure the PPPoE to work.

3. franklel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips.

I have cable internet so it's a constant connection.

My Mac is grabbing an IP address. Also, I'm currently running a desktop PC from the same router via ethernet and have a solid connection. I'm also able to connect to the internet with my MAC via ethernet, just not wirelessly.

I know the router's wireless function is working because I can still connect with my wireless PC laptop.

I may try the forum you suggested.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-franklel

If I heard you right, your Mac can connect to the internet when wired, but wireless isn't working.

If this is the case, I think I know what is going on.

In the Network Preferences there are several devices you can configure to access the internet. Sounds to me like the Ethernet device is connecting, but you need to configure the "AirPort" to do the same.

In the "Show:" drop-down select "AirPort", and have it configure using DHCP.

Also make sure that the configure order is correct. Do this with the "Network Port Configurations" in the samee drop-down. Have the Mac scan the AirPort for an IP first, then Ethernet.

Let me know how you do.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

For the record, this has nothing to do with WAP. WAP is for subportable devices like PDAs and cellphones to connect to text-based internet systems. This is 802.11b/g, more commonly known as Wi-Fi.

No biggie, but the right wording in the title can draw a better audience to help you.

pnw