Inevitable...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eleveneastgate, Jun 4, 2005.

1. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

OK, how do I start...

I'm still a Mac Newbie (since 2003) , and a proud owner of:

1- PB
    2- iB

So far I'm 2/3 in laptop notebook Drops. :eek:

I try to keep these notebooks protected with sleeves, and other accessories yet still SH*T just happens.

This time my PB fell about 1ft or 2ft. When it landed, the RH corner (near battery) was pushed in a bit (Pics coming soon). The floor had carpet, but no padding :mad: !

So far, so good, all things are working as they should.

As soon as it happened, I searched through MR to see if anyone else had the same problem. They were plenty...

This time I will not freak out and look to & fro just to replace the bottom casing ($249 repair). I'll just keep using the darn thing, get my money's worth. When it breaks down, I'll get it fixed, and have them replace the bottom casing while they got it opened, :D

++++++++++++++++++

For all those interested, peep the Battle Scars...

Thanks for all who gave their 2cents, I appreciate it! I can always count on MR for making me feel a little better about my Mac problems and for the comic relief, PEACE!

[​IMG]

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I haven't dropped my iBook and broke anything ... but I have dropped it A LOT. It just happens to stuff. At least it works afterwards 99% of the time. Can't say the same thing about other electronics that I have dropped.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe get an eMac. They're much harder to push off the desk.

4. PeterBonnar macrumors member

i once dropped a brand new G4 powerbook down two flights of stairs while it was compiling my java project.

Once i ran down to get it.... it was still working away fine! The only damage was a tint little crack about the head phones jack and a littel scrapping of the case.

A year later the crack had spread right through that bit of the frame. The whole book could be contorted. The CD rom drives mounts where pulled away from the case cause of the movement. Oh and the battery clip jammed cause of the same thing.

moral of the story... Don't use java! :eek:

Attached Files:

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

BWAHAHA!! That's teh funny! :D

Anyway, I've had my first gen Aluminum 15 inch PowerBook for nearly two years. It's travelled with me many places, from flights halfway around the world to class on my bike many many times. I have been fortunate enough to have never dropped it. I use a sleeve and bag combo from Tom Bihn.

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

My PowerBook has fallen off my desk (3 feet high) 2 times this year. Both times it happened were because my ethernet wire got wrapped around my foot, when i got up to walk away the whole machine and everything plugged in came with me. The only thing that happened to it is now it does not sit flat, it has a nasty wobble, so i keep it propped up on a book or on my lap. Is there anyway to fix this?

8. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Yesterday I was walking with my open ibook in my hand and I was about to walk into my room when the left part of the screen(back of screen) hit the door, pretty hard. The case got no scratches but if I look closely through the hinge the left part of the screen faces 1 or 2mm more inwards the the right, it isnt a biggie, but I am so mad at myself :mad: !!!

9. PeterBonnar macrumors member

damn! now you know my dirty little secret!

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Oh man, That's why I love wireless internet. I only have one wire in my PowerBook (power wire), so I have less wires to trip over and kill my baby PowerBook with.

I don't think there's an easy way to fix it, and I wouldn't really want to try.. you might snap something inside it...
    having a PowerBook that sits flat, but a snapped logic board or something... Not cool.
    But a powerBook that works perfectly fine, witha few battle scars... awesome.

11. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i've dropped my old ibook once (it was in a bag, but the ports got dented) and the latch on the lcd broke. that was a big pain in the ass, because it kept on pulling itself out of sleep :/

i must admit i do always step on laptops though. i normally have pb/ibook./thinkpad or something else littered around the floor, and sometimes i can be a bit too lazy/careless

gee, i should really buy a bigger desk :eek:

12. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I actually just got wireless a few days ago because i told my parents if my computer takes another spill because of a damn ethernet wire i'm going to rip every wire out of the entire house. So they let me set up wirless and now i don't have any problems. I'm not going to attempt bending it back, i'd rather have a working machine then a broken one.

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Rock on dude.
    Take it to an apple store and see if they'll fix it for you.

...If you bring them something to eat, they get really happy and may do it for free!
    (I brought the clerks 2 baggies of chocolate the day after I won my PowerBook. "Here are two bags of chocolate to repay y'all for the $2000 computer you gave me. :) :)"

14. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

hey id fix it for food!