Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santeh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Hello all,

I recently sunk everything I could into a G5 dual core 2.3 GHz tower so that I could have a solid, dependable desktop system for quite some time to come. At the time of my purchase I did not have much thought towards a laptop. However it is now possible that I may have a summer internship that would keep me away from my desktop for a long enough period that I potentially could suffer a significant productivity drop.

I am therefore in a position where investing in an inexpensive Apple laptop might be a necessity. I only need a system that can handle MS Office 2004 (mainly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint so that I can transfer files via a Lexar JumpDrive via USB 2.0 when I return), as well as internet and email use. I was wondering if one of the older G3 iBooks would be fine for my needs? I only have $200-300 to spend, but if the G3 system cannot handle MS 2004 I might have to look for an alternative. If a G3 would be fine, what configuration would I need, such as in DDR RAM? Can I get MS Office 2004 to work well in Panther, or do I need Tiger (or does it matter)?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Sam

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Santeh said:
Hello all,

I recently sunk everything I could into a G5 dual core 2.3 GHz tower so that I could have a solid, dependable desktop system for quite some time to come. At the time of my purchase I did not have much thought towards a laptop. However it is now possible that I may have a summer internship that would keep me away from my desktop for a long enough period that I potentially could suffer a significant productivity drop.

I am therefore in a position where investing in an inexpensive Apple laptop might be a necessity. I only need a system that can handle MS Office 2004 (mainly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint so that I can transfer files via a Lexar JumpDrive via USB 2.0 when I return), as well as internet and email use. I was wondering if one of the older G3 iBooks would be fine for my needs? I only have $200-300 to spend, but if the G3 system cannot handle MS 2004 I might have to look for an alternative. If a G3 would be fine, what configuration would I need, such as in DDR RAM? Can I get MS Office 2004 to work well in Panther, or do I need Tiger (or does it matter)?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Sam

I agree with FFTT that the ibook refurb is a great way to go. However I had MS 04 running on a G3 iMac in Panther no problem at all. I don't think it is a problem -- just make sure you use a different MS id code or it will not let you use MS on two machines off one router at the same time.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
California said:
I agree with FFTT that the ibook refurb is a great way to go. However I had MS 04 running on a G3 iMac in Panther no problem at all. I don't think it is a problem -- just make sure you use a different MS id code or it will not let you use MS on two machines off one router at the same time.

Unless you put up your firewall. That would certainly prevent office from being any the wiser... :eek: who said that? I think he ran that way ->

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
The student/teacher edition of Office '04, at least, lets you install on up to 3 computers "in your household." I don't have the exact EULA in front of me, but it even says this on the front of the package. I'm not sure what the other versions of Office say, but there might be a similar such provision.

California said:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
excalibur313 said:
Unless you put up your firewall. That would certainly prevent office from being any the wiser... :eek: who said that? I think he ran that way ->

:D

Santeh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Hello all,

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it!

Since money is tight, and my needs do not appear to be too great in regards to programs, what do you all think about the 1999 G3 Powerbook called "Lombard" (a.k.a. bronze keyboard)? It has the ability to run MS Office 2004 via Panther, and even has USB ports (albeit USB 1.1 which I hope would work with my Lexar JumpDrive). Hopefully I might be able to get one of these units for $100-200... Thoughts?

Thanks again all!

Always,

Sam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.