Inexpensive SCSI PCI card for G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hoosker, Feb 4, 2004.

1. hoosker macrumors member

hoosker

After upgrading to a dual G5 2ghz I realized I was going to have to spend a lot on a PCI SCSI card just to keep using my flat bed scanner and slide scanner. I was wondering in anyone may have found an affordable card that will work in the new Macs. I do not need high speed just Fast-SCSI would be fine.

Otherwise I guess it would just be better to buy a USB or Firewire scanner?

I figured there may be others in the same boat and could make a recommendation.

2. Maccrazy17 macrumors newbie

Entry Level PCI-X SCSI Card for G5

I am looking for something similar. Although I only have a 1.8 Ghz G5, and am only looking to connect a second CD-R drive. I seem to have come to a dead end researching everything. I just bought an Adaptec 2906 card, not knowing it wouldn't work. I had used this exact same card on a 466 Mhz G4 with no problems, thought it would work, again.

My external CD-R drive is only a SCSI-3 in a SCSI-2 case (50 pin connection). I already have a HPDB50 to DB25 cable and most likely will not be able to use it, unless I get an adapter. I am only looking for an entry level card, but all I can find are ridiculously expensive SCSI PCI-X cards that guarantee speeds I will never need for a CD-R drive.

Any help out there?

Thanks,

Michael
    Phoenix

3. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

If you are going this way take a close look at the Epson Perfection 4870, a very very good brand new 4800dpi flatbed that ALSO does top notch Trannie work, all for only $500 and since I'm sure you don't believe me, heres a link to a review ;)

4. hoosker thread starter macrumors member

hoosker

a wee bit too $$

I believe you. $500 is a still a fair amount for a scanner but if it did a good job on film then it would be great. Have you seen the results scanning film from the 4870? Also how well does Epson's software work in 10.3?

The truth is though if I could find a PCI scsi card for $100, that would work in my G5 I would go that way. You would think there would be a market for it. But when you get into $300-400....

Besides, you never know when you will happen to have opportunity (need) to connect a scsi device --even temporarily.

5. loubapache macrumors member

I think I have one or two PCI SCSI cards and I can check to see what brands they are. They both are Ultra SCSI, I think (the 50 pin type). I was using them for the SCSI ZIP and JAZ drives. Now I do not use these drives anymore so I da not use the SCSI cards.

One of the two cards I know is the Iomega BUZ card. At one time, they released that card and it has SCSI interface and also a video capture. The SCSI interface was to transfer the video files right onto the SCSI drives. The specs are

PCI Bridge controller
    Advansys ASC3050B Ultra-SCSI Controller
    Iomega/Zoran Buz Video

The other one is of Futura (sp?) brand, I think.

Since the video capture feature won't work on the Mac, the Futura card might better for you. I was also using this card for a SCSI Epson scaner.

This might be out of the place here. Because I do not need the SCSI ZIP (100 MB) and Jaz (1 GB) drives anymore, please contact me if you are interested. I also have quite a few disks (both ZIP and Jaz).

6. Maccrazy17 macrumors newbie

LSI Logic Cards?

Anyone know if this SCSI card is G5 compatible?

The LSI Logic 21320-R

thanks,

Michael

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Check your PCI card specs...

If it's a 5v card it won't work.

If it's a 3.3v card keyed like a 5v card it won't work.

It must be a 3.3v card keyed as a 3.3v card.