Infinite Loop!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, Dec 19, 2003.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2003
    Victoria, Australia
    After the week i had at work in the Windoze world me thinks MS needs to relocate to Infinite Loop.

On several occasions we had PCs (in different apps and scenarios) go into the infinite loop crash.

My favourite was the one that went...

1) Word is not responding. End Now or Cancel? (Clicking either same next result)
    2) Word crashed do you wish to notify MS, Yes or No? (clicking either same next result)
    3) Repeat from step one.

This one happened twice to the one user.

Another was was the GPF that wouldn't go away - no matter how many times you clicked ok.

2. zellin macrumors regular

Nov 23, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    As I say whenever one of my Windoze-using friends experiences a crash...
    "That's why I use a Mac."
  3. awulf macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2002
    South Australia
    Don't forget Mac OS X crashes too.

Like if I dial-up onto the Internet, open up the program "Fire" (Multi IM Client), and then leave my computer go to sleep while it downloads, when I come back in the morning the computer is totally crashed. The hard disk spins wildly, there is either a frozen screen or a black screen.

This only happens when I have the program "Fire" open, and I have formatted my HD & re-installed Mac OS X. This happens in 10.2 and 10.3.

Also I once got a Kernel Panic just by opening my CD tray!
  4. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)

So, maybe....
    ... perhaps fire is the common denominator in this situation.
  5. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    I've never had OSX crash, only individual apps; and the apple ones are always the most reliable.
  6. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    the biggest problem i have is that sometimes after leaving my system runnign for a week or so SystemUIServer can sometime get bogged down.
    Simply force wuitting it and letting OSX restart it fixes this.

I have had about 3 OSX crashes 2 were pre-10.2.6 and one was in 10.2.8 (v2).
    I have never had a 10.3 Kcrash and i got 10.3 and was running it the day it came out (ok - i also ran it right after WWDC and still then had no crashes)
  7. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2003
    NC, USA
    I've had one crash after using my iMac for over a year now. But I like Macintosh crashes more anyway, there more user-friendly. When a PC crashes it just sits there and when you press a button it just....I can't even remember it's been so long; wait, let's go test out my Dad's new Gateway.
  8. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2003
    NC, USA
    Let's conclude that while Mac's can crash, Pc's do crash more.
  9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I've had my mac crash plenty of times - its still a computer, so its going to happen. I do think that since OSX came out things have definitely improved.

10. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    definitely improved... big time.... OS9 was abit of a nightmare, especially when things got really demanding, and you started getting memory warnings.... :eek: :p

Awhile ago I had to use a friends Mac, she was still running OS9 at the time, and you get so used to the pure speed and productivity of OSX over OS9.... now before OS9 people cough and splutter their drinks before ranting about the better responsiveness of the OS9 GUI over OSX, in OSX you get used to opening Photoshop, Director, iTunes (then playing the music) and checking email simultaneously whilst still maintaining a usable OS, going back into OS9 it just grinds if you ask of it more than one thing at a time.

I had the same experience on Windows a few months ago, when I had to do some post work, and all I have to say is that Windows can't multi-task for sh*t.... especially when the going gets heavy! ;)
  11. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    Windows for Dummies

Chapter 1:

You should have bought a Mac!
  12. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2003
    Victoria, Australia
    I don't disagree but the point of this particular thread was that the PC crashes I'd experienced in the last week were nasty (in that they went into infinite loop)

One of the early things I discovered when I switched was that Mac apps crash too. :(
    The next thing I learned was that they crash very tidily. :D

They don't go into infinite loop, they don't knock out the system or other apps.

In my four months,
    - I've had countless apps crashes,
    - 1 kernel panic,
    - one total crash (pBook stopped dead - but booted fine with no probs except date was reset)

But I've never had
    - an infinite loop crash
    - a domino-effect crash
  13. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    The infinite crash thing hapens a lot in windows xp because on the error message box there is a checkbox (checked by default) to relaunch the program I beleive. A lot of times when you relaunch the program it just crashes again. I've never had a blue screen in windows xp or a kernel panic in 10.3. I do have applications crash in both, but in both cases it doesnt take down the system.
  14. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    To the person using fire, stop now. That app is extremely troublesome. If you want a multi format im client, try proteus (i think that's its name) or some such other client. Fire is a very poor app. It always crashed on me.

As far as os X's stability, I've had very few kp's since 10.0.4. I had a few after first installing 10.2.4, but those eventually stopped. This summer I had 2 which were due to my one of my speakers which blew out (oddly, it started working again just after I got a replacement speaker for my ibook). The only real problems I've had in X was with 10.0.4 when it would kp with some regularity and it would some times slip into a coma after going to sleep. My only problems with my 2 yr old ibook now are battery issues and a weak inverter cable (i think that's what it's called) in my hinge.
  15. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    "friends don't let friends use windows"... LOL

I found that i get more Application crashes running OS 10 then i did running OS 9
  16. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2003
    ive had programs crash in osx but the os itself has only crashed about 5 times mainly due to the shear amount abuse it gets with the poxy 128 sdram i have at the moment. Poor thing cant keep up with me lol
  17. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    I find the thing slower in general ... I don't know, i have have a mind to just boot into 9.2 again
  18. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Infinite Loop!

remember back when steve jobs came back to apple in the late 90s? i thought also that microsoft would buy infinite loop...but those also were the days when the govt. was going after gates and co. so it wouldn't be prudent to buy out a competitor:p