Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the February closure of Impossible Studios, Chair co-founder Donald Mustard revealed during a podcast (via IGN) that the Infinity Blade Dungeons project the studio was working on has now been officially canceled.

"When the studio that was working on [Dungeons] was closed, the game was canceled. That's really all I can say," he said.

Infinity Blade Dungeons made its initial debut at an Apple event in March of 2012, where the third generation iPad was introduced. The game, which was said to be a dungeon crawling version of Chair's hit action role-playing title Infinity Blade, was delayed until 2013 in October and then delayed again indefinitely in February 2013.

dungeons-800x600.jpg
According to Mustard, the cancellation of Infinity Blade Dungeons is not the end for the Infinity Blade series overall. "There's more we at Chair are totally planning to do in the Infinity Blade universe," he said. "More games, more books, maybe even other products. And we are very excited about that."

Article Link: Infinity Blade Dungeons Officially Shut Down

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
A shame, given how great the first two Infinity Blade games are. Of course, that's no guarantee Dungeons would have been equally good, but it certainly had a lot on its side.

Still, looking forward to Infinity Blade III, in whatever form it turns up in. That spectrum gem was about as far as I'm willing to take II, and that's as much time as I've put into any game in years.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
I'm still waiting on seeing if Chair will ever develop a sequel or follow up like game to Shadow Complex.

In the past they've claimed they were busy with Infinity Blade stuff. Seems now they have some free time. So get to it.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I was really looking forward to IB:D. Hopefully they lend some closure to that part of the storyline in another way!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It was the only game in the IB series that ever looked interesting to me.

Oh well, I'm sure some other game company will pick up the idea and run with it. (Not that it matters. MR/TA will ignore it and none of us will ever hear of it. Because it doesn't involve EA, Epic, or Rovio.)

Suspended
Oct 24, 2007
Contract not sweet enough. How does the studio fail with a project of this sort?

Last edited by a moderator:

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom
I suppose we had no real first class action games on the iPad when this was originally announced, but it did show off what could be created. Look at the games coming out on the iPad now?

Deus Ex: The Fall
XCom: Enemy Unknown

Just to name two recent ones.

----------

Contract not sweet enough. How does the studio fail with a project of this sort?

They gave it to a studio called "impossible"

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I suppose we had no real first class action games on the iPad when this was originally announced, but it did show off what could be created. Look at the games coming out on the iPad now?

Deus Ex: The Fall
XCom: Enemy Unknown

Just to name two recent ones.

----------

They gave it to a studio called "impossible"

Haha. The game would have been great. Impossible made a cool Skyrim competitor that is no longer supported, Kingdoms of Amalur. Infinity Blade seemed as though it would take some aspects of play from there.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I always figured they had to do it because they showed it at an Apple presentation. Sort of like "we have this, now we HAVE to give it to you". It's like if Apple showed you the iPhone 5S then just never released another one instead.

Still, a shame. I was really looking forward to this, so I guess for now Wild Blood is the best like alternative.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
how can they shut down a game that's so far in development? At least they can recover costs by finishing it or selling it on to another firm to finish and release it as a partnership.

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Haha. The game would have been great. Impossible made a cool Skyrim competitor that is no longer supported, Kingdoms of Amalur. Infinity Blade seemed as though it would take some aspects of play from there.

Yeah the "impossible" thing was more of an ironic joke, I know they have produced some reasonable stuff in the past. Game studios go in an out of business all the time, the rest seem to get sucked up by EA...

Console games are getting more expensive, so it's sad to see games with great potential (for iOS) getting canned.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
really sad :( was really looking forward to this game when they announced it. the normal Infinity Blade games are fun, but get a bit repetitive. I thought this would have mixed things up a bit.

hopefully Chair own the code and perhaps launch a kickstarter or something to raise the money to finish and publish it themselves at some point?

Shattentor

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
I can't believe it. This looked to be such a promising ARPG and considering it's part of a very successful game series I just cannot fathom how it came to this end. Usually publishers throw any half-grown ****** game on the market as long as it's a sequel with a big name, and now it's canceled?

I think there has been some real **** going on between developer and publisher...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.