Infinity Blade Revenue Tops $30 Million

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In June of last year, Epic Games reported that it had made more than $10 million from the sale of Infinity Blade on iOS devices. Now, with the addition of Infinity Blade II to the roster, which Epic says has made more than $5 million since it was introduced at the beginning of December, the Infinity Blade franchise has passed more than $30 million in total revenue.
    Infinity Blade II is a universal app, available for $6.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

The original Infinity Blade is also available for iPhone and iPad, and is available for $5.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Infinity Blade Revenue Tops $30 Million

2. macrumors G4

*LTD*

A sign of the times, the changing market, and just a minor taste of what's to come. I hope handheld device and console-makers alike are paying attention, in particular Nintendo.

3. macrumors 6502a

coder12

This game/book/sequel is:

Amazing.

4. macrumors 68000

BC2009

[sarcasm]
    Maybe some of the folks from the "Tim Cook Stock Bonus" thread should hop over here and tell us why no game deserves to earn $30M in revenue and that how this is hurting the little guys in America.
    [/sarcasm]

Seriously, good for these guys -- they made a great and beautiful game and deserve it for all their hard work.

5. macrumors 6502

Agreed. But no matter how great powerful handheld devices get, there will always be much more gaming power available on the desktop computer or a dedicated gaming consol. I hope the gaming industry doesn't stop making games that take full advantage of that power as well.

6. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is nothing compared to the amount of money they make on a console game. Take for example call of duty MW3. They've already made one billion in revenue. I think the iPod, iPhone and Ipad are going to destroy the portables from Sony and Nintendo but obviously they won't even touch the consoles which is a good thing :) I just hope Nintendo starts selling its games for ios but likely that won't happen for a few more years.

7. macrumors 603

How much did it cost to make Infinity Blade (I & II)?

8. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd be curious to know, also. The first one was described as having a 12-member dev team and five months, so direct labor costs probably would have been in the (rough guess) $500-750k USD range, so depending on what they spent on rendering farm time or other non-labor costs... maybe somewhere around $1-2M?

9. macrumors regular

I bought this game to see the graphics and they are impressive indeed. Why anyone would want to actually play the game is beyond me though. As far as I could tell, all you do is swipe your finger back and forth ferociously and hope the big metal baddy dies before you do. I couldn't figure out how to be better at swiping, and it got old very fast. So instead I just wandered around for a bit and enjoyed the scenery. That was the one and only time I ever played it. Well done to them all the same.

10. macrumors member

Broojo02

Good for them :) Its a good price as well, not some rock bottom 99 cent price.

11. macrumors 6502a

Too bad the game updates made me lose all my game saves :(

12. macrumors 68000

steve knight

well ya but you need to block or parry or dodge to get very far, three different weapon types this time means three different ways. so just swiping will not work later on it is about timing.

13. macrumors Core

Dagless

They made an estimated £1,260,000,000 from the last generation (IV) on Pokemon alone and £32,315,670 from Mario 3DS Land (released in Nov 2011).

Seems to me like they don't need to pay attention.

Congrats to Chair though. It's not my kind of game at all but it's great seeing such a small studio doing so well.

14. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

At least this gives me a very tiny bit of hope that maybe one day Nintendo will start making iOS games, I'm tired of having to use so many different devices

15. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it does get old fast. Nice to see what graphics the iPad 2 was capable of though.

16. macrumors member

You're playing it wrong.

17. macrumors 68030

Shame some of the money wasn't spent on beta testing it before release.

Phazer

18. macrumors regular

Re: poor beta testing: In the original Infinity Blade I managed to get the camera stuck behind objects a couple of times - still not sure how I managed that since everything is on fixed walk paths. Had to force quite and reload the last check point to fix it. I also discovered that doing a super attack as you die results in you not dying and you can't hurt the other guys, so everyone just stands around until you quit.

19. macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

This. A friend of me suffered this about once a day ^^